Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra Circuit Court has granted GHC50,000 bail each to seventeen drivers who allegedly undertook sand-winning operations without a license at Agbazu, near Amasaman.
They are: Gariba Ali, Ekow Quansah aka Big Joe, Christopher Semebia, Ahmed Abdul Asit, Ahmed Abdul Basit, Sampson Asum, Kwame Appiah, Samuel Gaisie, Stephen Owusu Sekyere, and Adam Issah.
The others are Kwaku Afful, Eric Fiagbedzi, Mohammed Abdallah, Michael Kangvi, Rashid Sumaila, Suleman Mohammed, and Samuel Lavoe.
Sixteen of them were arrested, along with a loader and 13 tipper trucks.
They allegedly damaged the crops of five farmers who are also members of the Fruit and Vegetable Exporters in the Central, Eastern, and Greater Accra Regions.
- Read also: Court remands 16 illegal sand winners
The court presided over by Mr Isaac Addo revoked a bench warrant against Samuel Atsu Forson, one of the accused who the police allege was at large on August 17, 2024, when the other 16 were arraigned.
The 17 defendants have been charged with causing unlawful damage and mining without a licence.
They have pleaded not guilty.
Counsels representing the 17 accused took turns appealing for bail, arguing that the court should give them the time to prepare and present their defence in the matter.
According to the lawyers, the accused have men of substance to sign their bail, and they are cooperating with the police to arrest Samuel Atsu Forson, who had been selling sand to them.
The prosecution, led by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Kofi Anane, informed the court that the complainants, Anthony Botchway, Solomon Benjamin, George Kpoye, and Mark Achel, are farmers and members of Fruit and Vegetable Exporters in the Central, Eastern, and Greater Accra regions.
It said that on August 8, 2024, the complainants reported that the accused unlawfully entered their farmlands in Kofi Kwei, Agbazu, and Oboman near Amasaman for sand winning, and damaged their crops.
The court heard that, based on the allegations, the police visited the farmlands, observed the accused persons' unlawful activities, and took videos at the scene.
On August 13, 2024, the police returned to the location and arrested the defendants along with a loader and 13 tipper trucks.
On August 20, 2024, police and Minerals Commission officials went to the area and discovered that portions of Golden Exotic Limited's irrigation projects had been vandalized, and ground nuts and vegetables on five other farmlands had also been destroyed.
The matter has been adjourned until September 24, 2024.
Latest Stories
-
Kenyan court rules parts of law criminalising consensual sex between adolescents invalid
27 minutes -
I brag to my colleagues about being a graduate – Davido
36 minutes -
I used to run to Don Jazzy’s room to cry during hard times – Tiwa Savage
46 minutes -
Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Tems and Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards
56 minutes -
Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
1 hour -
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
1 hour -
As cocoa prices melt down, real chocolate is making a comeback
1 hour -
UK agrees ÂŁ3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
2 hours -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
2 hours -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
3 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
4 hours -
TikTok and YouTube ‘not safe enough’ for kids, says Ofcom
4 hours -
Samsung strike on hold – but the fight isn’t over yet. Why?
4 hours -
US charges Cuba’s RaĂşl Castro with murder over 1996 downing of two planes
4 hours -
A time will come they must step aside – Kwakye Ofosu warns ambitious appointees
5 hours