The president of world football governing body FIFA, Gianni Infantino has arrived in Algeria ahead of the opener of the 2022 African Nations Championship (CHAN) that will pit host Algeria against Libya at the Nelson Mandela stadium in Algiers this Friday.
The CHAN, Africa’s second national flagship tournament, reserved solely for players plying their trade in their domestic championships.
FIFA’s supremo Gianni Infantino expressed delight after arriving in the North African nation.
“I’m very happy to be in Algiers where I will take part in the inauguration of the Nelson Mandela Stadium,” Infantino said.
“I will also be meeting with Algeria’s president, the Algerian football community as well as stakeholders of African football.”
“I’m also here for the CHAN which begins on Friday. It is a very important moment for African football” Fifa’s president mentioned.
The 2022 CHAN in Algeria will be the first event that will see 18 teams rival for continental recognition after the number of participants was increased from 16 to 18.
The CHAN, which is in its seventh edition, was last won by Morocco in 2021 in Cameroon
- Armed police officers and soldiers clash in Accra central as traders run for their lives
- Mohammed Kudus not eligible to play at 2023 U-23 AFCON
- Fuel prices to fall between 2% and 9% from April 1
- MP dies after hit-and-run motorcycle crash
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- Social media reacts to Bagbin’s rant on Kamala Harris and Akufo-Addo’s LGBTQ+ comments
- Students have still not reported to school despite free SHS – Ashanti Region GES
- Ernest Kobeah pulls out of NDC flagbearership race
- U-23 AFCON 2023Q: Ghana seals qualification with victory over Algeria
- Radio presenter recounts stealing church money to buy heroin, cocaine
- Stonebwoy unveils tracklist and cover art for upcoming album ‘5th Dimension’
- Basketmouth opens up on struggles early on in comedy career
- ECG to disconnect Ho Teaching Hospital, Ho Municipal Hospital over arrears
- Video: How man used bare hands to rescue trapped gold miners in DR Congo
- McDan’s Salt Company disconnected from national grid over GH¢300k debt
- How climate change impact on fisheries is pushing artisanal fishers into IUU fishing in Ghana
- Ashanti Region records 181 maternal mortality in 2022
- Ghana Airlines will be operational by June this year – Transport Minister
- Africa should focus on digital economy and innovation – Kamala Harris
- Parliament decriminalises attempted suicide
- Kamala Harris hails immense impact of medical drone delivery in Ghana
- Black Stars team manager clarifies André Ayew teamsheet error against Angola
- Kamala Harris in Ghana: The US Vice President and the arts
- There’s still political interference in Ghana’s chieftaincy institution – Akyem Bosome Omanhene
- Old boy, DRW donate laptops to Mfantsipim