Thirty-four students of the University of Cape Coast (UCC) were on Saturday, arrested on the campus of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).
The suspects were rounded up during the climax of a hall week celebration by students of the Unity Hall of KNUST.
The police said the suspects failed to explain why they were on the campus at midnight when they were rounded up and, thus, transferred to the Regional CID in Kumasi.
This comes amid earlier warnings issued by the Ashanti Regional Security Council, declaring KNUST a security zone.
A statement by the Students Representative Council of UCC on Sunday also said it has “taken initial steps to ascertain the veracity of the situation.”
“Some executives of the SRC, together with the Atlantic Hall President, have visited the police and have begun engagements with the CID in charge of the case”, parts of the statement read.
“All students should remain calm to avoid further aggravation of the situation”, the statement further added.
- Four charged for violating restrictions on public gathering at Christ Embassy ‘Pneumatica Night’
- NSMQ 2021: PRESEC beats Achimota, Chemu and Odorgonno SHS to be crowned Regional Champions
- Police secures restraining order against #FixTheCountry protest on May 9
- Akufo-Addo accepts Kissi Agyebeng’s nomination as Special Prosecutor, seeks Parliamentary approval
- What is the big deal? – Brigitte Dzogbenuku on WGHS refusing to let students fast
- Our job is to fix problems; we are fixing them – Bawumia
- Dominic Ayine questions independence of judiciary following Supreme Court’s adjudication of 2020 election petition
- #FixTheCountry: We’ll use the courts to set aside order against May 9 protest – Economic Fighters League
- Ghana takes delivery of 350,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccines
- GSE gives 4 firms time to submit 2020 financial statements
Chinese rocket set to crash back to Earth at unknown location
More than 50 killed in fight over water resources in Central Asia
Oldest human burial in Africa found – A child laid to rest with pillow 78,000 years ago
He blocked me just a day after we had sex – Lady recounts
Feuding factions in Osu chieftaincy dispute smoke peace pipe after decades of unresolved conflict
Eden Hazard apologises to Real Madrid fans for laughing with Chelsea players
Legon Cities deny Bashir Hayford’s dismissal rumors
Mahama Ayariga acquitted, Opuni ordered to open his defence
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 23
Fix our road or we’ll fix it ourselves with your revenue – Darisalam youth to Central Gonja District Assembly
Chief allegedly orders for school to be demolished for his palace at Adumasa
Government declares Thursday, May 13, as public holiday to mark Eid-ul-Fitr
Prince Philip’s cause of death has been confirmed
Child shoots three at school, police say
Ban on drumming and noise-making in Accra commences May 10, ends June 10