Audio By Carbonatix
While much of the nation watched Comoros' footballers beat Kenya in Sunday's Africa Cup of Nations qualifier, 54 inmates took the opportunity to break free from the Moroni prison at around 19:00 local time (16:00 GMT).
Among the escapees, who are not considered dangerous criminals, 13 have so far been arrested. But the most wanted - Inssa Mohamed, alias Bobocha - has not yet been found. He was in pre-trial detention for allegedly taking part in an attempted attack on Comoros President Azali Assoumani in April.
Extradited from Madagascar last July, Mr Mohamed's trial was set to take place this month before the State Security Court.
This massive escape is the third in a few weeks. The operation on 15 November was the most dramatic - an entire section of the wall of one of the dormitories was demolished.
Prisoners used the rubble as projectiles against the guards, resulting in nine wounded.
"Of the nine security guards, four went to El-Maarouf [Hospital] for treatment and five were treated in the prison infirmary," said Justice Minister Mohamed Houssein Djamalilayl. He says he went to the prison yesterday at dawn.
Latest Stories
-
Women bear the heaviest burden after climate disasters – GreenFaith Africa
14 minutes -
APN calls for urgent mobile money interoperability across Africa
21 minutes -
Portugal’s Ronaldo set for record sixth World Cup
24 minutes -
Cedi depreciates by 8.4% against dollar in interbank market
31 minutes -
Arsenal are 2025/26 EPL champions after Man City draw at Bournemouth
42 minutes -
CSOs will bring new dimensions to OSP constitutionality case – Justice Abdulai
45 minutes -
Ghana’s pubic debt hits GH¢674.1bn as of February 2026
50 minutes -
Mamprugu king accuses security agencies of abuse, demands justice over death of Mamprusi youth
1 hour -
Ghana has not exited IMF, PCI is a new three-year deal – Oppong Nkrumah
1 hour -
Health Ministry issues Ebola alert after WHO declares global public health emergency
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketia enskinned as Kashentengwura in Bole
1 hour -
Ghana secures $40m diaspora investment fund as entry point for Africa growth push in Atlanta Dialogue
1 hour -
Abronye DC case: Detention doesn’t take away right to healthcare – Martin Kpebu
2 hours -
German-born Ghanaian youngster Jason Osei-Tutu joins Greuther Fürth ahead of 2026/27 season
2 hours -
Health Ministry opens admissions for 2026/2027 public health training institutions
2 hours