Audio By Carbonatix
Six Nigeriens under mandatory quarantine have escaped from a holding centre at Asato in the Kadjebi District of the Oti Region.
Sources tell JoyNews that the incident happened when health officials went there to check on them on Monday but found an empty building without any notice.
The Nigeriens were part of the 37 commuters who were arrested on April 17 and 18 in the district.
They had been prevented by a joint security operation from using one of the border outposts in the Kadjebi District into Togo and subsequently confined for observation at a guest house.
According to Peter Senoo, the Joy News Oti Regional Correspondent, they were returning from Nkawkaw in the Eastern Region where their mainstay – polishing finger and toes nails – is no longer fetching them much.
The District Chief Executive (DCE) of Kadzebi, Maxwell Asiedu, suspects the escapees are still in the area “because they left their belongings, bags. Their slippers and other things were still in the room.”
According to the DCE, the policeman on guard duty at the facility said he had stepped out to purchase an item in the locality when the incident took place.
He also said that a search has been mounted to apprehend the 6 individuals.
The DCE was also hopeful that the police in the region will do their best to see to it they are arrested.
Mr Asiedu further called on the general public to volunteer information on the possible whereabouts.
Meanwhile, the Oti Region has recorded 13 Covid-19 cases. This brings the country’s total of confirmed infections to 1,279 as of Friday, April 24.
Latest Stories
-
Toronto police arrest Ghanaian over two separate sexual assault incidents
5 minutes -
Kpeve Water Plant shut down over soaring turbidity levels, encroachment – GWL
15 minutes -
Kofi Adams dismisses claims Ghana supplied broken pole vault equipment at African Championships
15 minutes -
TikToker charged for alleged false claim of finding blade in sachet water
16 minutes -
Working Ghanaians show signs of financial recovery, but long‑term vulnerability persists – Old Mutual Financial Wellness Monitor
39 minutes -
Preventing the 18th: Ghana’s post-IMF moment is the real test of strength
47 minutes -
Alleged letter directing NSS funds to private firm admitted in Gifty Oware-Mensah trial
50 minutes -
Global oil prices and bond yields rise after Trump warns Iran over stalled peace talks
1 hour -
Kwegyir Aggrey and Achimota School’s founding myths – Further Reflections
1 hour -
Kwakye Ofosu accuses Ghana Bar Association of political partiality
1 hour -
Police could not justify GH₵35.8m bill for 2023 African Games – LOC Chair
2 hours -
TGMA is not the platform to judge fashion – Nana Akua Addo
2 hours -
2028 election will be youth-driven—Bawumia
2 hours -
IGP Yohuno ‘doubles’ police academy intake for officers for Course 54
2 hours -
We don’t have to go back, 17 times at IMF is enough – Nana Yaa Jantuah
2 hours