Audio By Carbonatix
Luis Suarez says he wants to leave Liverpool and join a side which is competing in the Champions League.
The Uruguay striker, 26, intends to submit a transfer request by the end of the week if a move is blocked.
Continue reading the main story
“
I am 26, I need to be playing in the Champions League.”Suarez told the Guardian and Daily Telegraph that the Reds "promised" he could leave this summer if they did not qualify for the Champions League.
"I gave absolutely everything last season. Now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement," he said.
"Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I'd be allowed to go."
Arsenal have made two bids, with the latest a pound more than £40m, in an attempt to trigger a release clause.
Liverpool, who finished seventh in the Premier League last season, have rejected the offers and insisted the clause does not force them to sell.
Suarez has not travelled with the squad for a pre-season match in Norway because of a foot injury.
"I am 26, I need to be playing in the Champions League. I feel I have done enough to be playing in the Champions League at this stage of my career. Now there is an option for me to do that and I want very much to take it," he said.
"I don't feel betrayed but the club promised me something a year ago, just as I promised them that I would stay and try everything possible to get us into the Champions League."
Liverpool meet Valerenga on Wednesday in their penultimate friendly before the start of the season but Suarez will not feature.
He is due to have a scan on his foot injury in the next 24 hours, joining Daniel Agger, Glen Johnson and Martin Skrtel in staying in England to receive treatment.
Reds boss Brendan Rodgers has insisted Arsenal's offer remains well short of Liverpool's valuation.
"If Arsenal want the player they have to produce the value for the player," Rodgers said last month.
Suarez, who joined the club in January 2011 from Ajax for £22.7m and signed a long-term contract extension in August 2012, scored 30 goals in 44 appearances for the Reds last season.
Liverpool conclude their pre-season preparations with a friendly against Celtic in Dublin on Saturday before starting their Premier League campaign a week later against Stoke City at Anfield.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
7 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
15 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
25 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
32 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
58 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
1 hour -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
1 hour -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
1 hour -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
2 hours -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
2 hours -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours