Audio By Carbonatix
German playmaker Ozil could make his Premier League debut at Sunderland on Saturday, having made a deadline day move from Real Madrid which was greeted by disbelief from his former team-mates at the Bernabeu.
Wenger is in no doubt the arrival of such a high-caliber player can only help bring on the talent of 21-year-old Wilshere, who has been troubled by injury in recent seasons and is the subject of debate over burnout following a somewhat laboured display in the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine earlier this week.
"In midfield, Jack Wilshere is more comfortable in deeper positions and Ozil more in a higher position, that is why I don't think they conflict," said Wenger, who is set to be without Czech midfielder Tomas Rosicky because of a thigh injury at the Stadium of Light.
"I didn't always think that, but looking at Jack over the years now, he likes to come deep to take the ball and make a difference, and then give and go again.
"Ozil, though, is more behind the striker, higher up on the field."
Wenger had long tracked the third-generation Turkish-German playmaker, and tried to bring him to Arsenal when he moved from Werder Bremen in August 2010.
Indeed it was a personal phone call from the French coach - who is fluent in German - on the eve of Arsenal's win over Tottenham ahead of the international break proved pivotal to seal the move.
Ozil, 24, was part of Germany's successful Under-21 side which beat England 4-0 in the final of the 2009 European Championships, and is in no doubt he has signed for both a club and manager capable of taking his game to another level.
Wenger said: "Ozil has the personality to express his game, which is for me the most important. He is a creative player, and that is what we want, to express his talent and develop it.
"If you look well at his record, his assists are fantastic, his goal scoring record there is room for improvement.
"In the next few years, you expect him to combine those two together."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
2 minutes -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
6 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
11 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
13 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
17 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
18 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
20 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
22 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
22 minutes -
Hostel operators warn Rent Control action could worsen accommodation shortage at KNUST
23 minutes -
Fire Service equipment shortage persists as some appliances go 15 years without replacement
25 minutes -
Guinness Ghana DJ Awards 2026 nationwide tour kicks off in Winneba
26 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod management of ‘crass incompetence’ over alleged losses
27 minutes -
Livestream: National Mining Dialogue 2026 underway
35 minutes -
Small arms amnesty campaign boosts surrender, regularisation of weapons in Ashanti Region
43 minutes