Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester United and England footballer Ashley Young has been banned from driving for six months.
The 28-year-old was handed four penalty points after he admitted speeding at 71mph on a 50mph section of the M6 Toll in Warwickshire in March last year.
Warwick Magistrates' Court heard he already had nine points on his licence for an earlier speeding conviction.
Young's solicitor argued the road had been "quiet" at the time of his latest offence.
The winger was handed six points in January after he admitted driving at 100mph on the M62 in West Yorkshire, and three points for an unspecified offence in 2011.
Young's Range Rover Vogue was captured by a speed camera near the M6 Toll's junction with the M42 at 10:00 GMT on March 7, the court heard.
Late plea
He was fined £3,000 for the offence, ordered to pay £405 costs and a £120 victim surcharge.
Defending, Frances Coles-Harrington criticised a Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) application for £405 costs.
"Just because Mr Young is who he is, £405 for an indication of a guilty plea - if it was another member of the public here today, they'd be hit with the usual application for £85 costs for a guilty plea, not £405," she said.
But prosecutor Naila Iqbal argued that Young's late plea - entered one day before the trial started - meant the CPS had incurred costs preparing evidence.
"So, whether it is Mr Young of Manchester United or a member of the public, the costs would have been the same," she added.
Paul Tasker, chairman of the bench, told Young: "If you drive while disqualified you will be committing a serious offence and you may be sent to prison and disqualified again."
Latest Stories
-
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
5 minutes -
Jinapor prioritises exploration, investment to reverse Ghana’s oil production decline
8 minutes -
Eric Tinkler highlights deep-rooted challenges at Asante Kotoko, admits club is aware
10 minutes -
Next 15 years of Petroleum Commission must focus on transformation – John Jinapor
11 minutes -
Bank of Ghana’s negative equity should not come as a surprise – Minority
13 minutes -
US$3.5bn fresh investment shows renewed confidence in Ghana’s oil sector – Jinapor
14 minutes -
Another centenary in Keta: Vodza RC School
32 minutes -
GES engages teacher unions over concerns about 2025 promotion dates
38 minutes -
Ghana must move from participation to ownership in petroleum sector – Jinapor
48 minutes -
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
51 minutes -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
53 minutes -
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
57 minutes -
Hostel Owners Association accuse Rent Control of threats, unfair treatment to operators
1 hour -
NSA opens special desk to resolve Ghana Card, school biodata mismatches
1 hour -
Ghana hosts Kenya, Netherlands, South Africa for talks on turning climate plans into action
1 hour