Audio By Carbonatix
Eden Hazard admits that he had made his mind up to leave Chelsea in 2018 – a full year before he ultimately completed his move to Real Madrid.
Speculation swirled over the Belgium international attacker’s future at Stamford Bridge for months before a deal was eventually completed, and the 28-year-old concedes that the reports were not simply a case of smoke without fire.
He was, however, happy to remain with the Blues for a further year, winning the Europa League before completing a £130 million ($167m) switch to Spain.
“I'd already made my mind up after the World Cup and I said to myself: ‘I have to join Real Madrid now',” he told Real Madrid TV. “That wasn't possible and I spent another year at Chelsea and that made my departure easier. The club understood it and allowed me to leave.”
Hazard confirms that chats with international colleague, and former Chelsea team-mate, Thibaut Courtois were instrumental in the forward taking the plunge to complete a long-harboured ambition.
“My dream was always to play for Real Madrid, the greatest team in the world, and so far I'm happy,” the former Lille star said.
“Courtois always told me that this was the best club.
“I also spoke to [Luka] Modric and got the impression that they all wanted to see me at Real Madrid and it finally happened.”
Hazard has not enjoyed the best start to life in Spain, where he has mustered only one goal and two assists across the Primera Division and the Champions League.
He has also admitted that it has been difficult to inherit Cristiano Ronaldo’s No.7 shirt, while he has also been slowly getting up to speed after being troubled by a hamstring injury that was picked up during the club’s pre-season tour.
Hazard is not alone in struggling this season, with international team-mate Courtois having been the subject of stinging criticism after a number of sub-par performances, notably in the 2-2 Champions League draw against Club Brugge at home.
Madrid will face La Liga’s bottom side Leganes on Wednesday when they return to competitive action, with Zidane’s men seeking to improve on their current position of sixth in the standings.
--
Latest Stories
-
The Great African Divergence: Why the dream of a borderless Africa is a dangerous premature reality
8 minutes -
Association of Banks CEO hails “unpalatable” decision to save COCOBOD from collapse
11 minutes -
New nuclear talks between US and Iran begin in Geneva
22 minutes -
Why “good enough” is destroying Ghana’s fashion manufacturing future
24 minutes -
Gov’t is impoverishing cocoa farmers—Awal Mohammed
31 minutes -
US civil rights leader Jesse Jackson dies aged 84
33 minutes -
Bond market: Turnover declines 42.47% to GH¢2.27bn
39 minutes -
Ghana faces 130 million gallon daily water supply deficit — GWL
40 minutes -
Benjamin Asare ‘not at the level’ of Black Stars – Fmr Kotoko management member
43 minutes -
GFA Prez Kurt Okraku targets AFCON triumph
44 minutes -
GWL MD identifies Kasoa as major hub of illegal water connections
46 minutes -
‘He subjected me to constant, severe, chronic violence’ — Woman breaks 50-year silence on alleged abuse by Pastor father
59 minutes -
Illegal connections cost GWL GH₵8.6 Million between August–December 2025
1 hour -
WPL 2025/26: Hasaacas Ladies move to top of Southern Zone as Ampem Darkoa continue lead
1 hour -
Ghana Water Limited needs over GH₵3.5bn to replace ageing pipelines — MD
2 hours
