Audio By Carbonatix
Hull City season card holders have narrowly voted in favour of owner Assem Allam's plan to change the Premier League club's name to Hull Tigers.
The Football Association will decide on the proposals when its council meets on Wednesday, though its membership committee has alreadymade a recommendation to reject the plans.
Allam, 74, said he will walk away from the club if the name change is blocked.
A total of 2,565 of those eligible voted for the change, to 2,517 against.
Those in favour voted "Yes to Hull Tigers with the Allam family continuing to lead the club".
Of the club's 15,033 season card holders, 5,874 responded, with 792 voting they were "not too concerned and will continue to support the club either way".
In August, it was announced the name of business that runs the club had beenchanged to Hull City Tigers, and four months later the club formally applied to the FA to change its name to Hull Tigers from next season.
Allam believes a Tigers brand will be more marketable, and said he considered the word City to be "lousy" and "common".
Hull fans' group City Till We Die has opposed the changes, with support from the Football Supporters' Federation.
Egypt-born Allam, who moved to Hull in 1968, took charge of the club in December 2010 and last season oversaw promotion to the top flight for only the second time in the club's 109-year history.
He is credited with rescuing the club from administration but has been at odds with many supporters over his plans to change the club's name.
Allam said in a newspaper interview last year that his opponents could"die as soon as they want", with manager Steve Bruce later claiming the owner had been misinterpreted.
Hull are 12th in the Premier League and will reach the FA Cup final for the first time on Sunday if they beat League One side Sheffield United in their first semi-final since 1930.
The team's "Tigers" nickname is thought to have been coined by a Hull Daily Mail reporter in 1905, in reference to the club's black and amber kit.
Latest Stories
-
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
7 minutes -
Jinapor prioritises exploration, investment to reverse Ghana’s oil production decline
9 minutes -
Eric Tinkler highlights deep-rooted challenges at Asante Kotoko, admits club is aware
12 minutes -
Next 15 years of Petroleum Commission must focus on transformation – John Jinapor
13 minutes -
Bank of Ghana’s negative equity should not come as a surprise – Minority
14 minutes -
US$3.5bn fresh investment shows renewed confidence in Ghana’s oil sector – Jinapor
15 minutes -
Another centenary in Keta: Vodza RC School
34 minutes -
GES engages teacher unions over concerns about 2025 promotion dates
40 minutes -
Ghana must move from participation to ownership in petroleum sector – Jinapor
50 minutes -
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
53 minutes -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
55 minutes -
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
59 minutes -
Hostel Owners Association accuse Rent Control of threats, unfair treatment to operators
1 hour -
NSA opens special desk to resolve Ghana Card, school biodata mismatches
1 hour -
Ghana hosts Kenya, Netherlands, South Africa for talks on turning climate plans into action
1 hour