Audio By Carbonatix
Wednesday’s Copa del Rey final between Barcelona and Real Madrid lost a little luster this morning after Real boss Carlo Ancelotti revealed what had been suspected: Cristiano Ronaldo will not feature in the cup final.
Ancelotti had previously said that Ronaldo could play in the match despite the ailments that kept him from competing this weekend in league play.
Ronaldo, 29, has knee and thigh problems, and Real doesn’t want to risk problems with its megastar. Ancelotti said there was nothing they could’ve done differently to help avoid the injury for Real, still very much alive in the race for La Liga’s No. 1 slot.
“Cristiano did not rest because there was no need,” he said.
“There was no situation we saw that suggested he was tired and if he had been tired he would not have played. He has a problem that many players have at this stage of the season.
“We protect Cristiano in the same way we try to protect all the players as much as possible. It could be a risk playing him and we are not going to take that risk as there are very important games still to come.”
This is certainly good news for Barca’s lack of depth at center back. Atletico won last year’s edition, with Barca topping the tourney in 2012 and Real claiming the crown in 2011. Who do you have winning the Copa del Rey?
Latest Stories
-
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
6 minutes -
Jinapor prioritises exploration, investment to reverse Ghana’s oil production decline
9 minutes -
Eric Tinkler highlights deep-rooted challenges at Asante Kotoko, admits club is aware
12 minutes -
Next 15 years of Petroleum Commission must focus on transformation – John Jinapor
12 minutes -
Bank of Ghana’s negative equity should not come as a surprise – Minority
14 minutes -
US$3.5bn fresh investment shows renewed confidence in Ghana’s oil sector – Jinapor
15 minutes -
Another centenary in Keta: Vodza RC School
33 minutes -
GES engages teacher unions over concerns about 2025 promotion dates
40 minutes -
Ghana must move from participation to ownership in petroleum sector – Jinapor
49 minutes -
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
52 minutes -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
54 minutes -
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
58 minutes -
Hostel Owners Association accuse Rent Control of threats, unfair treatment to operators
1 hour -
NSA opens special desk to resolve Ghana Card, school biodata mismatches
1 hour -
Ghana hosts Kenya, Netherlands, South Africa for talks on turning climate plans into action
1 hour