Audio By Carbonatix
Luis Suarez came under criticism from the English Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore for his temperamental behaviour on the pitch. Suarez left Liverpool for Barcelona in a 75 million pounds deal.
Luis Suarez is "an accident waiting to happen", English Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said Wednesday, adding he was glad the controversial forward had left Liverpool for Barcelona.
The Uruguay striker left Anfield for Camp Nou in a 75 million pounds deal ($127 million, 95 million euro) after he was banned for four months from all football after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in Brazil.
Scudamore said the Premier League would be more peaceful without Suarez, whose ban was his third for biting.
"I think probably the time had come," said Scudamore talking at the launch of the Premier League season, which starts on Saturday.
"He's a great player and I'm not taking anything away from his talents: he was voted by both his own players and the media last year the player of the year and deservedly so.
"He's great to have but an accident waiting to happen, and if you spend your time trying to promote what's good about the Premier League, you're always waiting for the next thing to come along.
"And this one in the summer, although it was with Uruguay, although it didn't directly involve the Premier League, clearly it reflected on Liverpool as one of our great clubs and it reflected on us," he added.
"He's done his time here, but I can't say I'm sorry to see him go.
"I think it was good business on a number of levels from Liverpool to move Suarez on," said Scudamore.
Suarez has appealed against his FIFA ban to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport and will learn their decision on Thursday.
The striker was banned for 10 games for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in 2013 and sidelined for seven matches for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal in Ajax action in 2010.
Latest Stories
-
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
3 minutes -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
7 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
12 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
14 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
17 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
19 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
21 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
22 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
22 minutes -
Hostel operators warn Rent Control action could worsen accommodation shortage at KNUST
24 minutes -
Fire Service equipment shortage persists as some appliances go 15 years without replacement
25 minutes -
Guinness Ghana DJ Awards 2026 nationwide tour kicks off in Winneba
27 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod management of ‘crass incompetence’ over alleged losses
27 minutes -
Livestream: National Mining Dialogue 2026 underway
36 minutes -
Small arms amnesty campaign boosts surrender, regularisation of weapons in Ashanti Region
43 minutes