Audio By Carbonatix
There are very strong indications that the Nigeria Football Federation will this week announce an interim coach for the game against Congo on September 6 in Calabar. The Confederation of African Football replaced Rwanda with Congo on Sunday following their disqualification for using an ineligible player.
The PUNCH learnt on Sunday that the machinery has been put in place to get another Nigerian to stand in until a decision is taken on Stephen Keshi’s second term as the Super Eagles coach. A member of the federation who spoke with our correspondent said that it had become very evident that the NFF and Keshi cannot conclude their discussion in time for the 2015 Africa Nations Cup qualifier. The NFF had planned to use Keshi while the negotiation continued.
He said, “You know so many things have happened in the last few days especially with the FIFA decision on Nigeria. But above all, Keshi and the federation appear to be still far apart to make any conclusion in few days’ time. The federation offered to maintain his current salary but he has instead demanded a whopping N15m which is N10m difference.
The federation has offered him a four-year contract to make long term planning easier for both sides but he is asking for one year with option of renewable. September 6 is a breath away and the game is very important for us and so we have to use plan B and then continue the discussion with him later.”
The interim coach is expected to be announced before the week runs out as the federation calls up the players for the game.
The interim manager will be chosen under the leadership of Alhaji Aminu Maigari who is billed resume in office today (Monday) as the NFF president. The world football governing body FIFA overruled his purported impeachment of July 25. Maigari’s resumption was announced by the sports minister Dr. Tammy Danagogo in a joint press conference with Maigari on Friday in Abuja.
And for the game, CAF organising committee disqualified Rwanda following a protest made by the Congolese Football Federation regarding the eligibility of Rwandan player, Birori Dady. Dady had featured in the first leg of the second round qualifier between the two countries last month in Pointe-Noir. Congo claimed that Dady, who plays for AS Vita Club in Kinshasa, has a different name and age in his passport.
CAF established that the player also uses a different age in his passport, and that the two identities referred to a single person.
Defending champions Nigeria are in same group alongside Sudan, South Africa and with this resolution, Congo.
Latest Stories
-
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
3 minutes -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
7 minutes -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
12 minutes -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
15 minutes -
Berekuso-Kwabenya-Kitase road project stalls as First Sky cites unsigned contract and funding challenges
18 minutes -
Interior Ministry urges strict enforcement of Armoured Bullion Vehicle standards in Ghana
20 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped man after Ford F-150 crashes into Kia Rio at Suhum Niifio
22 minutes -
Firefighters need stronger protection from smoke, air pollution risks – Clean Air Fund
23 minutes -
Constitution guarantees speedy trials for all cases, not selected ones — Kpemka tells Deputy AG
23 minutes -
Hostel operators warn Rent Control action could worsen accommodation shortage at KNUST
24 minutes -
Fire Service equipment shortage persists as some appliances go 15 years without replacement
26 minutes -
Guinness Ghana DJ Awards 2026 nationwide tour kicks off in Winneba
27 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod management of ‘crass incompetence’ over alleged losses
28 minutes -
Livestream: National Mining Dialogue 2026 underway
37 minutes -
Small arms amnesty campaign boosts surrender, regularisation of weapons in Ashanti Region
44 minutes