Audio By Carbonatix
The campaign team for the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has refuted reports that its flagbearer has promised to build more mortuaries for Zongo communities when given the nod in the upcoming elections.
James Agyenim-Boateng, spokesperson for the party said neither the former President John Mahama nor any member of the party has made such a promise.
"For the avoidance of doubt, the said publication is mishcievous, deliberately distorted and calculated to whip up anti-Muslim sentiments against the NDC," he said in a statement.
This comes after the former president in an interview with TV XYZ and WoezorTV mentioned a number of interventions aimed at addressing the historical inequalities between Zongo, Deprived Urban Settlements and other communities.
During the interview, the NDC flagbearer cited the negative effects of the Alien Compliance Order implemented by the Danquah-Busia tradition on Zongos.
He further acknowledged the concerns of Muslims about how traditional mortuaries handle their beloved ones when they pass on and said his new government will address the problem.
However, publications after the interview suggested that Mr Mahama promised to build more mortuaries for Zongo communities.
But in a press statement, James Agyenim-Boateng said the attention of the party had been drawn to a publication which he said was misleading and false.
He noted that the former president never said he was going to build more mortuaries for Zongo communities but rather, he promised to "facilitate the establishment of mortuaries in accordance with Islamic custom and practices and collaborate with the Ministry of Health to set up focal teams responsible for procedures that are compliant with Islamic custom and practice at all public mortuaries.”
He, therefore, has entreated the general public, especially Muslims to disregard any such publication.
Latest Stories
-
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
38 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
38 minutes -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
50 minutes -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
2 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
3 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
4 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
4 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
5 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
5 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
6 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
6 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
6 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
6 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
6 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
7 hours