Audio By Carbonatix
Lawyers for Assin North MP, James Gyakye Quayson, on Wednesday successfully blocked the hearing of a case to determine if he can continue performing Parliamentary duties.
On March 8, the Supreme Court ordered the legislator to file his defence in the case after it had ruled that the MP has been sufficiently given notice of the case.
Before that, the Apex Court had on February 22, directed that court processes be brought to the attention of the MP through a publication in the Daily Graphic newspaper and posting on the wall of the Supreme Court in Accra, the High Court in Cape Coast and the residence of the legislator.
This was after the private citizen who filed the case against the MP, Michael Ankomah Nimfah, through his lawyers told the Court that all attempts to give the MP court documents have proved unsuccessful.
A Cape Coast High Court in July, 2021 annulled the Assin North Parliamentary elections when it ruled that Mr Quayson owed allegiance to another country other than Ghana when filing his nomination forms to contest the polls.

The MP has since been fighting to set this aside at the Court of Appeal.
Lawyers for Mr Nimfah want the MP restrained from performing Parliamentary duties while they await the decision of the Court of Appeal.
In Court on Tuesday, March 8, lawyers for the lawmaker led by Tsatsu Tsikata informed the Court that its order for substituted service had not been fully complied with.
He said the publication in the Daily Graphic did not contain all court processes but simply had the order of the Court and date for hearing.
“Another notice appeared in the Daily Graphic of March 1, and again my Lord, it had only the order of substituted service and hearing notice to the parties. The hearing notice served on us flies in the face of the order that your Lordship made,” Mr Tsikata said.
Lawyer for Mr Nimfah, Frank Davies, told the Court a misunderstanding of its order regarding the Daily Graphic publication does not mean the MP is not aware of court processes.
He explained that the order modes of service had been complied with.
The Court then noticed that court processes had been given to Mr Tsikata’s co-counsel, Justin Teriwajah.
The Registrar informed the Court that it provided the necessary documents because of a letter it received from Mr Teriwajah informing the registry of his appointment as the lawyer for the legislator.
Attorney General Godfred Yeboah Dame told the Court that the said letter written by the lawyers and subsequent receipt of documents meant sufficient case had been given.
By a unanimous decision, the Court dismissed the objection raised by Mr Tsikata.
“The essence of substituted service is to bring to the attention of a party of the pendency of the suit. This Court does not expect all processes to be published. Again the letter by Mr Teriwajah speaks for itself. We, therefore, dismiss the preliminary objection.
"On the issue of whether this case is ripe for hearing this Court in a majority decision of 6-1 with Justice Kulendi dissenting holds that the first accused was duly served as at 28 February 2022.
"The case is adjourned to March 16, 2022, for a hearing. The First defendant is to file all processes on or before March 16," President of the Panel Justice Dotse ruled.
On Wednesday, Mr Tsikata informed the Court that he had filed two applications.
One seeks to urge the Court to halt proceedings while another asks that it review its March 8 ruling.
The Court, therefore, adjourned proceedings to deal with these applications on March 29.
The case was heard by Justices Jones Dotse, Agnes Dordzie, Nene Amegatcher, Mariama Owusu, Gertrude Torkonoo, Prof. Mensah Bonsu and Emmanuel Yonny Kulendi.
Latest Stories
-
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
5 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
6 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
9 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
20 minutes -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
25 minutes -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
35 minutes -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
39 minutes -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
48 minutes -
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
56 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
1 hour -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
1 hour -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
2 hours -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
2 hours -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
2 hours -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
2 hours