Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Food and Agriculture, Bryan Acheampong says 50 percent of the debt owed food suppliers of the National Food Buffer Stock Company, has been settled.
According to the Minister, the expectation is that the amount will hit the accounts of the suppliers by Wednesday, July 19.
He added that the payment covers the period from 2017 to 2021.
“Mr Speaker, in 2022, of the GH₵726,617,881, GH₵500 million has been paid to the suppliers, we still owe suppliers a little more GH₵203 million.
"Such release was sent to Finance, and last week we received 100 million which is 50% of what is due the suppliers. So, we are hoping that by midweek this week, the 50 % will be sent to suppliers," he said in Parliament on Tuesday.
He assured that the Ministry would settle the rest of the arrears by August 17.
According to him, the Ministry has no issues with the food suppliers, so business will continue with them.
Prior to this announcement, the National Food Suppliers Association had served notice that its members will resume the indefinite occupation of the premises of the National Buffer Stock Company (NAFCO) on Thursday if monies owed them are not paid.
According to them, they would bring along their families and debtors to the premises this time around.
“If after Thursday we don’t receive our money, I want to bring to notice here that we will resume our picketing and when we get there, we will not listen to any advice from any Honourable member. We’ll come back with our families, our dependents and our creditors. It is going to be more massive than what we saw earlier,” a representative of the group noted.
They also stated that they are only expecting nothing but the full outstanding payment.
Latest Stories
-
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
2 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
3 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
3 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
3 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
3 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
3 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
3 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
4 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
4 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
4 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
4 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
4 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
4 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappointing Man City
5 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
5 hours