Audio By Carbonatix
Sources close to former Finance Minister Kenneth Ofori-Atta have confirmed that he will not be physically present in Ghana on June 2 to appear before the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) as previously agreed.
This, they explain, is due to an unexpected deterioration in his health condition.
According to Frank Davies, this development has been officially communicated to the OSP by Ofori-Atta’s legal team, along with accompanying medical reports.
He added that the information has also been brought to the attention of the Human Rights Court.
Over the weekend, several media outlets reported that the Special Prosecutor, Kissi Agyebeng, may consider declaring Mr. Ofori-Atta wanted again if he fails to appear.
But Mr Frank Davies said, given the current medical circumstances and ongoing legal proceedings, such an action would be highly irregular.
Mr. Ofori-Atta has already filed a suit at the Human Rights Court, challenging the legality of the OSP’s initial declaration of him as a wanted person.
The court has scheduled June 18, 2025, to deliver its ruling on the matter.
The OSP itself acknowledged this legal challenge in a post on its official X (formerly Twitter) account on Thursday, May 28, 2025.
News Alert:
— Office of the Special Prosecutor-Ghana (@ospghana) May 28, 2025
The Human Rights Court has adjourned to 18 June 2025 for a ruling on a motion filed by former Finance Minister Kenneth Ofori-Atta, seeking to restrain the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) from declaring him wanted, among other reliefs.
Mr Ofori-Atta is also…
The post confirmed that the Human Rights Court had adjourned the case to June 18 for a ruling on Mr Ofori-Atta’s motion seeking to restrain the OSP from issuing further declarations and requesting the removal of previous declarations from its social media platforms.
The motion was argued by the former Finance Minister’s legal team and is being contested by the OSP.
"In light of the OSP’s acknowledgement of the court proceedings, it is highly unlikely that, as of June 1, 2025, the office would legitimately issue a renewed threat to declare Mr. Ofori-Atta wanted, contrary to the claims made by some media reports," Mr Frank Davies said.
According to Joy News sources, Mr. Ofori-Atta’s lawyers have submitted detailed medical documentation to the court, including scheduled surgical procedures.
Sources also reveal that Mr. Ofori-Atta has expressed willingness to submit to an electronic interview with the OSP—consistent with provisions under the Electronic Transactions Act—so that a cautioned statement can be taken while he continues with his medical treatment.
Latest Stories
-
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
2 minutes -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
7 minutes -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
10 minutes -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
14 minutes -
Massive crowd turns out for Brock Royal Family’s Osu Duku Walk
15 minutes -
Aboboyaa Group donates two motorcycles to NACOC Ashanti Command
20 minutes -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
27 minutes -
Rev Prof Amevenku elected 15th EPCG Moderator, pledges servant leadership
33 minutes -
Military leaders urged to prepare for emerging security threats
38 minutes -
Ghana to expand pharmaceutical manufacturing capacity – Mahama
44 minutes -
Ghana to hold referendum on proposed constitutional amendments in 2027 – Mahama
51 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Ankomah
57 minutes -
GTA closes Elmina Beach Resort, three other facilities over regulatory violations
1 hour -
Sustained peace will restore Bawku to its former glory – Mahama
1 hour -
15% of maternal mortality deaths in Kumasi are ‘imported’- Health Director
1 hour