Audio By Carbonatix
Democratic Senator Ed Markey on Thursday proposed new national security safeguards that would ensure TikTok could remain online as the fate of the short video app used by 170 million Americans remains uncertain.
Congress last year passed legislation to force China's ByteDance to divest TikTok by January 19 or face a ban, but President Donald Trump has directed the Justice Department not to enforce the law.
Markey's proposal would eliminate the requirement that ByteDance sell TikTok’s U.S. operations if it establishes transparency requirements about content and limits foreign access to the data of TikTok’s American users.
Last month, Trump extended by 90 days to September 17 a deadline for ByteDance to divest the U.S. assets of TikTok.
Some Democratic lawmakers, including Markey, argue Trump has no legal authority to extend the deadline and have suggested the deal under consideration would not meet legal requirements.
“For months, I have been urging my colleagues to find an alternative path to the TikTok ban that keeps TikTok online without jeopardising national security," Markey said.
"With Trump continuing to illegally extend the divestment deadline, it’s time for Congress to reassert its legislative power, fix its mistake, and consider a new approach to TikTok."
A deal had been in the works this spring that would spin off TikTok's U.S. operations into a new U.S.-based firm, majority-owned and operated by U.S. investors.
This stalled after China indicated it would not approve it following Trump's announcements of steep tariffs on Chinese goods.
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said last week that TikTok will have to stop operating in the United States if China does not approve a deal for the sale of the app.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Tuesday said the future of TikTok did not come up in recent trade talks with China.
Trump has three times granted reprieves from federal enforcement of the law that mandated the sale or shutdown of TikTok, which was supposed to take effect in January.
Latest Stories
-
Government advances domestic processing, financial reforms in cocoa sector
20 minutes -
GHS enforces uniform, name tag policy after Mambrobi baby theft incident
31 minutes -
Cedi gains not enough to reduce prices as manufacturers still recovering losses – Dr Nsiah-Poku
1 hour -
Strong currency, but expensive power – AGI president explains why prices stay high
2 hours -
Tems, Burna Boy become African artistes with most Billboard Hot 100 entries
2 hours -
Lawyer fires back at Davido over social media harassment after custody case
3 hours -
Rapists should be castrated, burnt alive – Simi
3 hours -
Air Algérie Group and Africa Prosperity Network sign deal to advance ‘Make Africa Borderless Now!’ agenda
4 hours -
Africa Prosperity Network, Ethiopian Airlines explore partnership to advance ‘Make Africa Borderless Now!’ agenda
4 hours -
Trump’s Board of Peace members pledge $7bn in Gaza relief
5 hours -
Police retrieve five weapons, kill suspect in a shootout Â
5 hours -
Court fines driver over careless driving
5 hours -
Pharmacist arrested for alleged assault on medical officer over drugs  Â
5 hours -
Not all women in leaked footage had intimate encounters with Russian suspect – Sam George
5 hours -
Ghana to prosecute Russian national in absentia over leaked footage – Sam George
6 hours
