Audio By Carbonatix
A 42-year-old woman and her three sons have drowned in an abandoned illegal mining pit at Wassa Dunkwa in the Amenfi West Municipality of the Western Region.
The tragic incident occurred on Saturday afternoon when the family reportedly went to fetch firewood near a galamsey site.
An eyewitness told Joy News that residents in the area often visit the location to collect dried cocoa trees for firewood.

According to the eyewitness, after gathering the firewood and placing it by the roadside, the children decided to swim in a nearby pit left behind by illegal miners. The pit, which had been filled with water, turned fatal when the children began to drown.
Their mother, upon noticing the distress of her children, rushed in to rescue them. However, she was unable to save them and also drowned in the process.

The bodies were retrieved and conveyed to the morgue at the Catholic Hospital in Asankragwa.
Police at Asankrangwa have commenced investigations into the incident.
Assembly Member for Wassa Dunkwa, Paul Kata, confirmed the incident to Joy News.

The incident has renewed concerns about the dangers posed by abandoned galamsey pits in many communities across the Western Region.
Read Also: 9 confirmed dead in illegal mining pit collapse at Atta Ne Atta in Asutifi South
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
5 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours