Audio By Carbonatix
President John Mahama will face his party’s vetting committee despite being the only aspirant to file nominations for the presidential primaries of the governing National Democratic Congress.
“The President will be vetted,” in accordance with party rules, Deputy NDC General Secretary Koku Anyidoho told Joy News Monday.
The President who is out of the country will reach an agreement with the party leadership to find a convenient date for the vetting, he explained.
The Deputy NDC General Secretary explained that John Mahama being the sole presidential aspirant does not rule out the party’s requirement to vet an aspirant.
“We want to play by the rules. We don’t want to leave any window of opportunity for some agent provocateurs to jump through,” Koku Anyidoho emphasized.
The vetting is expected to be a formality after the party sent strong signs that the President is the party’s best choice for December 2016 general elections.
Despite opening nominations for presidential primaries, the NDC national executives warned presidential aspirants to properly assess themselves before challenging the president.
“Facts are facts….If you are coming you have to check yourself,” First National Vice-Chairman, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo, told Joy News’ Evans Mensah after the President’s nomination forms was picked on his behalf.
The party suffered embarrassment last month after a 45-year old polling station youth organizer, George Boateng, purportedly picked up presidential nomination forms to contest Mahama in the November 7 presidential primaries.

The NDC refused to authenticate George Boateng’s ambitions and has since moved to quell any speculation that the president will be challenged by the youth organizer.
President Mahama who is seeking a final term submitted his nomination forms last month amidst fanfare at the party's headquarters in Accra.

“Our record in office is impressive and all of us can be proud about it,” President Mahama told a charged crowd of National Democratic Supporters.
The ruling party is set for nationwide parliamentary and presidential primaries on November 7.
Click here to chek photo gallery of President Mahama submitting presidential nomination forms
The National Democratic Congress has also strongly warned that any parliamentary aspirant who broke ranks with the party and went independent in the 2012 elections will be disqualified.
“The rules says that immediately you go independent, you have dismissed yourself from the party” Koku Anyidoho told Joy News’ Kwakye Afreh-Nuamah.
Repentant politicians who rejoin the party “must come and join the queue”, he said stressing that “laws are laws, rules are rules.”
This means the aspirant must have been in the party for at least four years to qualify for the parliamentary competitions. A returnee can, therefore, be at most three years at the time of filing nominations for the 2015 parliamentary primaries.
“That is why we keep insisting that if you have been disqualified, yes, initially you will be hurt but once the issues simmer you will come to realize that the party’s interest is larger than any interest,” Mr. Anyidoho said.
Latest Stories
-
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
7 minutes -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
12 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
15 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
18 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
28 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
36 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
36 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
50 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
51 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
54 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
2 hours