Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Bar Association (GBA) has warned the Electoral Commission against “hasty, poorly informed and premature decisions on the voters register" ahead of the 2016 elections.
In a six page resolution, the bar association expressed worry about the potential consequences for the country if the right decisions are not taken to deal with the credibility concerns about the voters register.
The association said the issues regarding the crediblity of the voters' register could must handled properly to deepen public confidence in it.
“A trustworthy voters register and effective monitoring of electoral activities underlie public trust and confidence in election results,” the GBA notes.
The Electoral Commission has engaged the services of IT experts to help review the country’s electoral roll, a move that has been necessitated by persistent calls for a new register to be compiled for next year’s general elections.
The opposition New Patriotic Party, the Convention People’s Party and the Progressive People’s Party say the current register is bloated.
They contend that the credibility of next year’s poll hinge on a new electoral roll.
The EC called a meeting with the political parties today, September 30, to discuss proposals submitted by various parties and groups on the voters’ register and other matters.
Commission Chairperson, Mrs Charlotte Osei, told journalists about 30 proposals had been received, 15 of them from political parties and the remaining ones from civil society organizations and individuals.
She said a public forum would be called next month to discuss all the proposals submitted.
Mrs Osei told Joy News’ Kwakye Afreh-Nuamah the Commission is concerned about plans by a pressure group, Let My Vote Count Alliance, to picket there.
Even though the protesters, demanding a new voters’ register, have insisted that they want to picket at the vicinity (not premises) of the Commission, Mrs. Osei said she was concerned because the data stored by the elections governing body could be compromised in the event of any mishap.
She said the Commission is however willing to receive the petition of the group.
Latest Stories
-
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
8 minutes -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
13 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
16 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
19 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
29 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
37 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
37 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
50 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
51 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
54 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
2 hours