Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana midfielder supremo Michael Essien has told coach Goran Stevanovic he will return to the Black Stars for next month’s crucial African Cup of Nations qualifier against Congo.
The Chelsea star player told the Serbian coach of his return to the team on Thursday during a telephone conversation.
This means he will be available for the friendly against England three days after the game in Brazzaville.
Essien took a temporary break from international duties last year but did state his exact return date, sparking fears of a decision to retire permanently from the team.
The softly approach of the Serbian manager is yielding the desired results as the Chelsea star spoke with the new coach on Thursday to assure him of his commitment to his country.
“I spoke with Michael Essien few moments ago and he has confirmed that he will return to the squad for our next game,” Stevanovic told Ghanasoccernet.com on Thursday.
“This is good news for all of us because for a long time we have not had all of our players because of injuries and a combination of other factors.
“Essien is a key player for Ghana and I am delighted that, like all the other players of the Black Stars he wants to play and help his country.
“If we deploy all our best players we should be able to improve on our recent good results and performances.
“We need everybody on board to make the Black Stars better and to help our aim of winning titles. Essien’s decision is important for Ghana and it shows he is a patriot.”
Despite the confirmation by Essien, Stevanovic will travel to meet the Chelsea star next week.
The Serbian manager will also meet Asamoah Gyan and the other Ghanaian players he has not seen so far.
The new coach held a similar meeting with Sulley Muntari in Milan last month which paved the way for the ex-Inter star to return to the national team fold after a silent suspension over disciplinary problems.
His recall to the Black Stars sparked confidence in the midfielder who subsequently excelled in the 4-1 friendly win over Togo last week.
Kevin Prince Boateng also held a meeting with the coach in Milan.
Source: Ghanasoccernet
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
52 seconds -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
1 minute -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
6 minutes -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
14 minutes -
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
36 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
38 minutes -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
57 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
3 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
3 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
4 hours