Audio By Carbonatix
The governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) has served a stern warning to its supporters to desist from discussing party issues in the media.
The party is unhappy with attacks unleashed on NDC functionaries by supporters following its defeat in last week Wednesday’s presidential poll.
At a press conference in Accra Thursday, NDC National Chairman, Kofi Portuphy said any discussion of the party’s internal wrangling in the media breaches its rules and regulations.
"We are a disciplined party and those of them who are being lured to make statements that are not in keeping with the norms of our party should desist from doing it," he said.
Already, the finger-pointing in the NDC has begun in a post-2016 election analysis of NDC's defeat in the polls.
Infuriated NDC members and functionaries have openly criticised each other for shooting down the second term bid of the President.
They have been accused of stashing money meant for party footsoldiers in their private accounts.
NDC Member of Parliament (MP) elect for Tamale North, Alhassan Suhuyini on the Joy FM's Super Morning Show Wednesday said the NDC lost the polls because New Patriotic Party (NPP)'s propaganda fuelled what he described as despondency within NDC.
Related Article: 'We lost perhaps because of ignorant voters, not corruption' - NDC MP-elect
He disagreed that President Mahama lost because of allegations of corruption in his government. "I think forgetfulness and perhaps ignorance played a major role."
Also NDC activist, Afrifa Yamoah Ponko has blamed the party’s 2016 campaign Coordinator, Kofi Adams for the defeat of the President.
In a discussion on Kumasi-based Abusua FM Tuesday, Mr. Ponko, who is also a former Ejisu Juabeng Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) said Mr Adams should have turned down his appointment when he knew he was not going to deliver victory to the party.
“I laughed it off when I heard Kofi Adams saying he should be blamed for our defeat, he should stop irritating our ears; why should he accept the blame, why did he accept to be the National Campaign Coordinator when he knew that he was going to fail us?" he asked.
Dissatisfied with the ongoing media battle between supporters and functionaries of the party, Mr Portuphy said any outstanding issue could be handled internally rather than the public attention being given to them.
"Yen dzi yen fie asem," to wit "Let's deal with our issues internally," he said, adding, "The leadership of the party abhor individuals going on stations and making all kinds of remarks."
"We should use our own system constitutionally...to seek redress."
This, he said must be done to ensure that the NDC court the favour of Ghanaians to be given the mandate in the 2020 general elections.
Latest Stories
-
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
4 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
8 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
10 minutes -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
19 minutes -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
33 minutes -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
37 minutes -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
37 minutes -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
46 minutes -
MTTD to make Accra model city for safe riding – ACP Dr Samuel Sasu Mensah
46 minutes -
NPP Upper West eyes 2028 comeback; dismisses vote-buying allegations in regional executive elections
53 minutes -
Minaata Moomin defeats Nancy Dery in NPP Upper West Regional Women’s Organiser election
55 minutes -
Constituency Games will take Mahama’s ‘Reset Ghana sports agenda’ to every community – Samson Deen
55 minutes -
Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov praises Kwame Nkrumah’s legacy during meeting with Ablakwa
56 minutes -
Bleoo 2G alumni hand over Beatrice Lokko Memorial Eco Park
58 minutes -
‘I will not be available’ – Godfred Dame rejects vacation hearing in Hanan trial
60 minutes