Audio By Carbonatix
Harry Redknapp will leave his role as Tottenham Hotspur manager, the club said on Thursday, bringing to an end a successful and eventful four-year spell with the English Premier League side.
Redknapp, who was heavily linked to the England manager's job before the Football Association appointed Roy Hodgson last month, had one-year remaining on his contract and had said in recent weeks he hoped to renew it.
But after a rollercoaster season where Spurs narrowly missed out on a place in the lucrative Champions League after pushing for the title, and Redknapp was cleared of tax evasion by an English court, chairman Daniel Levy decided a managerial change was necessary.
"This is not a decision the board and I have taken lightly," Levy said in a short statement on the club's website.
"Harry arrived at the club at a time when his experience and approach was exactly what was needed.
"This decision in no way detracts from the excellent work Harry has done during his time with the club and I should like to thank him for his achievements and contribution."
Redknapp was appointed Spurs manager in October 2008 with the club bottom of the Premier League after taking just two points from eight matches.
He resurrected their fortunes and took them to the League Cup final that season where they were beaten by Manchester United on penalties and enjoyed more success the following year when he led them to the Champions League for the first time.
"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Spurs and am proud of my achievements," Redknapp said in the statement.
"I have had a fantastic four years with the club, at times the football has been breathtaking. I am sad to be leaving but wish to thank the players, staff and fans for their terrific support during my time there."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Afro-Arab Drive Green expands EV fleet to boost jobs through energy transition
2 minutes -
Sunyani Paramount Chief warns chiefs against cemetery land sales and encroachment
3 minutes -
Trump envoy Kushner arrives in Israel after rare Hamas talks on Gaza peace plan
3 minutes -
Burnham exchanged messages with person posing as Trump’s chief of staff
4 minutes -
Prof. Boima calls for shift in Africa’s approach to kidney care
5 minutes -
Stonebwoy: Afro Dancehall Pele
5 minutes -
Chamber of Mines engages Adamus, government over revoked mining leases
22 minutes -
Kwame Dadzie: Dear President Mahama, scrap ‘Black Star Experience’
34 minutes -
CSA urges Ghanaians to report cyber threats
42 minutes -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
48 minutes -
Agotime Kente Festival celebrates heritage, weaving and cultural identity
50 minutes -
Mahama announces new strategy to keep galamseyers out of reclaimed forest reserves
55 minutes -
Philip Nai: KFC Ghana and the Gh¢15 promotion; Where does corporate responsibility begin?
57 minutes -
Ahafo Minister cuts sod for 24-hour market project in Tano North
1 hour -
14 arrested over suspected narcotics cultivation, distribution in Upper East
1 hour