Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester City have appointed former Barcelona vice-president Ferran Soriano as their new chief executive officer, effective from September 1.
There were earlier reports that the club were close to an agreement with the Spaniard to replace former chief executive Garry Cook, who resigned last September after a controversial email exchange was made public.
"I am delighted to take up the position of chief executive officer of Manchester City Football Club," Soriano told the club's official website.
"The vision of the owner together with his commitment, and that of the chairman and board, make this opportunity absolutely compelling.
"The club has incredible potential to be fulfilled both on and off the field. I very much look forward to playing my part to ensure that happens."
Soriano has also previously held the post of chief executive at Barcelona, and led the club an €88 million (£69m) cumulated profit within five years of his appointment.
Speaking of the appointment, City's chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "The process of finding a chief executive officer has been deliberate, far reaching and exhaustive.
"In Ferran we have our preferred candidate. His experience in football and in the wider commercial world make him exceptionally well equipped to lead Manchester City through its continued evolution.
"It is important to recognise and thank the Board, the executive leadership team and in particular, interim chief executive, John MacBeath, for their hard work during the search period."
City's interim chief executive John MacBeath was regarded by chairman Al Mubarak as a good temporary appointment as they looked to fill the position permanently.
The club's owners want the new man to help expand the club's brand across the globe, and oversee the ÂŁ300m redevelopment of Etihad Stadium and its surrounding area.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
7 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
11 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
14 minutes -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
22 minutes -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
36 minutes -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
40 minutes -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
41 minutes -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
50 minutes -
MTTD to make Accra model city for safe riding – ACP Dr Samuel Sasu Mensah
50 minutes -
NPP Upper West eyes 2028 comeback; dismisses vote-buying allegations in regional executive elections
56 minutes -
Minaata Moomin defeats Nancy Dery in NPP Upper West Regional Women’s Organiser election
58 minutes -
Constituency Games will take Mahama’s ‘Reset Ghana sports agenda’ to every community – Samson Deen
58 minutes -
Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov praises Kwame Nkrumah’s legacy during meeting with Ablakwa
59 minutes -
Bleoo 2G alumni hand over Beatrice Lokko Memorial Eco Park
1 hour -
‘I will not be available’ – Godfred Dame rejects vacation hearing in Hanan trial
1 hour