Audio By Carbonatix
Theo Walcott insists he wants to stay at Arsenal and become as big a legend there as Thierry Henry.
Gunners winger Walcott denied his delay in signing a new contract had anything to do with money but admitted agreeing a deal could be a "slow process".
Manager Arsene Wenger warned last week the club may be forced to sell Walcott - something they appeared close to doing this summer - if an agreement could not be reached before the transfer window reopens.
It has been suggested Walcott is seeking assurances of more playing time, especially up front.
Wenger converted Henry from a winger to Arsenal's all-time leading goalscorer and Walcott, who inherited the Frenchman's number 14 jersey, told ESPN on Monday: "I want to be an Arsenal legend. Thierry joined the club when he was 22 and I want to become an Arsenal legend like him, playing up front as well, which is a big factor for me.
"I've played on the right wing and had the opportunity to play up front a bit more so I think it's about time."
Talks over extending the 23-year-old's contract, which expires at the end of the season, reached crisis point last month when he rejected a new five-year deal worth £75,000 a week.
It was reported Walcott was holding out for £100,000 a week, but he said: "That speculation on the money side of it has never been me. That's not me. I'm not the sort of person who's influenced by money. I always make my decisions based on football and only football.
"Hopefully, something can be sorted out. I'll just wait for the club to get back to us now and go from there."
He added: "It's a slow process. My last contract took over six months to happen. Hopefully, it can be sorted out. I've never said I wanted to go, I've always wanted to stay."
However, the England star refused to rule out leaving Arsenal completely.
"It's one of those things that happens in the game," he said.
"If it comes to it, if the club had to sell me, I'd be disappointed but, like I said, hopefully something can be sorted."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Why EOCO, not OSP, is leading AKSA bribery probe – Deputy AG explains
5 minutes -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair to kick off with Mini-fair at Achimota Mall on August 21
12 minutes -
From promises to poisoned rivers: The dangerous silence fueling Ghana’s escalating galamsey and environmental collapse
13 minutes -
Hasty cancellation of AKSA contract could trigger judgment debt – Deputy AG warns
14 minutes -
Mahama won’t protect anyone linked to AKSA bribery scandal – Deputy AG
23 minutes -
Keeny Ice celebrates landmark Wembley performance, thanks Stonebwoy after BHIM Festival UK
40 minutes -
GoldBod hasn’t made any losses; Afenyo-Markin’s claim is ‘hallucinatory’ — Sammy Gyamfi
56 minutes -
Black Star International Film Festival unveils 2026 key art
1 hour -
Trump threatens Oman over Iran talks as efforts to reopen Strait of Hormuz continue
1 hour -
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
1 hour -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
1 hour -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
1 hour -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
2 hours -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
2 hours -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
2 hours