Audio By Carbonatix
A group of English football fans have been injured in a late-night clash in Rome ahead of a Europa League match.
At least nine Britons and one American were hurt when masked assailants attacked a pub in the Italian capital, according to police.
The Britons were in the country to support Tottenham Hotspur who are due to play Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico on Thursday night.
They were set upon by knife-wielding "Ultras" - fanatical fans - when they were enjoying a drink at The Drunken Ship pub, according to reports.
Blood stained the cobblestones outside the bar, chairs and bits of wood were strewn across the floor, and windows were broken.
Briton Ashley Mills was stabbed and was in serious condition, police said, and the American was also stabbed.
"We understand from local police that nine of our supporters suffered injuries last night following an incident in the city centre. Three of these supporters were taken to hospital for further treatment," said a statement from a Spurs spokesman.
Police said around 50 Italians were involved in the assault, and that some had been arrested.
The aggressors, who were believed to be Lazio fans, had their faces covered by motorcycle helmets or scarves when they launched their assault shortly after 1am.
Italian newspaper La Repubblica described the clashes as "urban warfare" and reported that up to 100 "Ultras" armed with knives, baseball bats and belts had taken part in the attack.
Witness Giuseppe Tamborra said: “I saw four people lying on the ground, one with his forehead cut open from here to here, probably with a stool taken from the bar.
"The Italians were very organised, with helmet, bats, even balaclavas," he said.
The Drunken Ship, a popular drinking spot for tourists and foreign students, is located in the Campo de Fiori -- one of the most visited squares in the Italian capital's historic centre.
The square features a colourful food market and a vibrant nightlife, and the American-owned bar is renowned for its lively atmosphere.
There was no response from the pub on Thursday morning.
A Foreign Office spokesman confirmed they are investigating the clash.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
18 minutes -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
34 minutes -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
41 minutes -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
43 minutes -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
53 minutes -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
56 minutes -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
1 hour -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
1 hour -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
1 hour -
Abandoned Dome-Berekuso-Kitase road project should not become a waste of taxpayers’ money — chief warns
1 hour -
University of Gold Coast graduates urged to prove themselves beyond certificates
2 hours -
GoldBod sets new X-Ray Fluorescence standard for gold purity testing from September 1
2 hours -
Why EOCO, not OSP, is leading AKSA bribery probe – Deputy AG explains
2 hours -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair to kick off with Mini-fair at Achimota Mall on August 21
2 hours -
From promises to poisoned rivers: The dangerous silence fueling Ghana’s escalating galamsey and environmental collapse
2 hours