Audio By Carbonatix
Felipe Scolari will be named for a second spell as coach of the Brazilian national side today, press reports said yesterday.
"The Brazil Football Federation (CBF) has already chosen its new coach: Luiz Felipe Scolari will replace Mano Menezes," the GloboEsporte website said.
An official announcement is expected today.
Scolari, who previously coached Brazil to World Cup glory in Japan in 2002, will be charged with bringing further success on home soil in 2014.
Scolari, 64, is available after recently parting company with Palmeires.
The CBF sacked Menezes last week after just two years in the job, with the Selecao having lost in the quarter-finals of last year's Copa America and then going down to Mexico in the Olympic final in London.
Five-times world champions Brazil are eager that the new man should use next year's Confederations Cup to blood new stars as they prepare to secure a first World Cup in the country since 1950.
In his first stint as Brazil manager, Scolari was forgiven for a pale Confederations Cup showing in 2001 after he led the Selecao to the World Cup win in Japan the following year.
He later coached Portugal and led them to the final of Euro 2004 on home soil before a disastrous spell with Chelsea in 2008.
Despite former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola being linked with the job, CBF chairman Jose Maria Marin has gone on record as saying that a Brazilian ought to be found who knows exactly what the job entails.
Asked about potential choices and having previously said he would wait until January before deciding on his man, Marin said: "I have faith in our Brazilian coaches.
"We won five (world) titles with them. That's why it would be very difficult to call in a foreigner," A Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper quoted Marin as saying on Tuesday.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
18 minutes -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
35 minutes -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
42 minutes -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
43 minutes -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
53 minutes -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
56 minutes -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
1 hour -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
1 hour -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
1 hour -
Abandoned Dome-Berekuso-Kitase road project should not become a waste of taxpayers’ money — chief warns
1 hour -
University of Gold Coast graduates urged to prove themselves beyond certificates
2 hours -
GoldBod sets new X-Ray Fluorescence standard for gold purity testing from September 1
2 hours -
Why EOCO, not OSP, is leading AKSA bribery probe – Deputy AG explains
2 hours -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair to kick off with Mini-fair at Achimota Mall on August 21
2 hours -
From promises to poisoned rivers: The dangerous silence fueling Ghana’s escalating galamsey and environmental collapse
2 hours