The Atebubu District Office of the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice is investigating a case in which a 20 year-old student of Yeji Secondary School became blind in her attempt to abort a three-month old pregnancy she was carrying.
Mariama Issah was alleged to have attempted to terminate the pregnancy with herbal concoction and some tablets provided by her boyfriend.
Mr Vasco Kwadwo Nyamekye, District Director of the Commission, told the GNA that the boyfriend, Samatu Alhassan, a 30 year-old painter, prepared the herb and asked her to insert it into her vagina to terminate the pregnancy.
He said Alhassan visited her the next day and gave her some tablets to take but she collapsed soon after taking them and was rushed to St. Matthias Catholic hospital at Yeji, where it was detected that the tablets had adversely affected parts of the womb and genitals.
Mariama was taken to the Okomfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi and her blindness was diagnosed to have been caused by the attempts to abort the pregnancy.
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo
- Africa World Airlines marks 11th anniversary with exciting passenger rewards and expansion drive
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Roads blocked as protesters march towards Jubilee House
- Cedi remains relatively stable since February 2023; Y-T-D depreciation to dollar stands at 22.5%
- LaLiga: Barcelona beat Celta Vigo after dramatic comeback
- Premier League: Calvert-Lewin helps Everton end winless start against Brentford
- Premier League: Ten-man Man City beat Nottingham Forest despite Rodri red card
- Ghanaian musicians die paupers; GHAMRO, MUSIGA are a mess – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor