Audio By Carbonatix
It is confirmed that two Africans are now fully in the race to succeed FIFA president Sepp Blatter after beating Monday's deadline for interested candidates to submit the necessary paperwork.
Anti-apartheid campaigner and mining tycoon Tokyo Sexwale (pictured above) joins fellow businessman and Liberian FA boss Musa Bility in the race that will be decided at a special congress on February 26 2016.
FIFA is yet to confirm the eight-man field which includes three candidates from Europe, two from Asia and one from North and Central America.
Sexwale, who was jailed in Robben Island for 13 years, is a former government minister and a member of FIFA's anti-discrimination task force.
Bility, 48, has about five years experience in the game. He is a businessman in the oil industry, and his company Srimex Oil and Gas Enterprise is the largest importer of petroleum in his country.
UEFA secretary Gianni Infantino, a 45-year-old Italian-Swiss with 15 years in the game joins embattled UEFA president Michel Platini, a Frenchman, and former FIFA executive and advisor to Blatter Jerome Champagne, also a Frenchman, from Europe.
Jordanian Prince Ali Bin Hussein, a former FIFA vice-president and former president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) gets his second chance to get the top job after losing to Blatter in the last election earlier this year.
Another Asian in the race is Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, a 49-year-old Bahraini with 17 years experience in the game. He is currently the Asian Football Confederation president and a FIFA vice-president.
51-year-old Trinidadian David Nakhid is a former footballer who played in Switzerland, Belgium and Greece, as well as for his country, and currently runs his own David Nakhid International Football School in Trinidad.
Nigerian duo Segun Odegbami and Orji Uzor Kalu are out of the race after failing to submit their entries. A spokesperson for Odegbami, who announced his intentions first on Joy FM last month, said his candidacy ultimately did not stand a chance with the late support granted him by the Nigeria Football Federation.
The 1980 Nations Cup winner was said to have only received the NFF\'s official support on the deadline day and that prevented him from getting the support of other federations. Every candidate needed to submit their forms along with the support of five federations.
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
36 minutes -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
2 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
3 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
3 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
3 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
3 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
3 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
3 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
4 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
4 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
4 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
4 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
4 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
4 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
5 hours