Audio By Carbonatix
Islamist militants from an al Qaeda-linked group killed 10 long-haul truck drivers and two teenage apprentices who were travelling through Mali's western Kayes region in late January, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Tuesday.
- Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM) attacked a military-escorted fuel convoy of at least 40 trucks, the HRW report said.
- JNIM, which mainly operates in Mali and Burkina Faso, has emerged as the region's strongest militant group. It aims to impose Islamic rule across the Sahel and extend its influence to coastal West Africa.
- Malian military authorities have turned to armed escorts to ease a fuel supply blockade on the landlocked country imposed by the insurgents.
- Witnesses told HRW the convoy, which was supposed to supply fuel to the Kayes region, had left Senegal's capital Dakar on January 27 and crossed Mali's border the next day.
- JNIM fighters captured several drivers who abandoned their trucks when the attackers opened fire, later executing 12 while releasing others, the HRW said.
- Six drivers have been missing since the attack, the report said.
- Mali's truck drivers' union told Reuters last month that 15 drivers were captured and executed on the spot during the attack.
- Mali's authorities did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
The six KNUST air quality ambassadors championing clean air action across Ghana and West Africa
1 hour -
Big motivation if people want Spurs down – De Zerbi
1 hour -
West Ham relegation may cost London taxpayers £2.5m
1 hour -
Leeds promise bans over homophobic chants
2 hours -
Mahama recused himself over Damang Mine deal – Kwakye Ofosu rejects Ibrahim state capture claims
2 hours -
What is wrong with us? We celebrate buildings but neglect the systems that keep cities alive
2 hours -
Neymar included in Brazil’s 26-man World Cup squad
2 hours -
Why Ghana’s export story is no longer about raw cocoa
2 hours -
Man City preparing for Guardiola departure
2 hours -
The paradox of plenty: How Ghana’s farmers are being sacrificed on the altar of a cheap import agenda
2 hours -
Defence Ministry in ‘safe hands’ despite vacancy – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
2 hours -
Why no Defence Minister yet? – Felix Kwakye Ofosu says Mahama sees no urgency
3 hours -
Sam George petitions AG to probe $3.4m payment for CSA building project
3 hours -
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
3 hours -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
3 hours