The Inspector-General of Police Paul Quaye has instructed the Director-General of Police Operations to team up with officers at Bawku to identify and address their logistical constraints to ensure better peace-keeping in the area.

The decision follows recommendations made at a meeting of the Regional Security Council on Monday to deliberate over the upsurge of violence in the town.

Three lives have been lost so far whilst four cars and two houses have been destroyed.

Outgoing Upper East Regional Commander, DCOP Hammid Mahama said 14 people have been picked up for questioning.

He said the council is thoroughly screening the suspects and those found culpable of any offense will be prosecuted.

Bawku has been in the news only for the wrong reasons.

In a response to the latest round of violence, government has imposed a 21-hour curfew on Bawku.

Residents can only come out between 7am and 10am.

A resident who described the situation as pathetic, said business activity in the town is almost non-existent.

There is a wild rush to patronise services within the three hours they can remain outdoors.

“There is no activity going on in the whole of the town; the shops just have to open briefly. I had to just take oil and rice. The whole day some other people had to rely on bread.” a resident told Joy FM correspondents at Bawku.

He pleaded with the Interior Minister Cletus Avoka to immediately review the curfew as life is becoming unbearable for the people.

Listen to excerpts of the interview in the attached audio.

Story by Fiifi Koomson/Myjoyonline.com

Tags: