Audio By Carbonatix
Joey Barton will serve the remaining nine games of his 12-match ban in France after joining Marseille on a one-year loan from QPR, the French league have confirmed.
Barton, 30, arrived at the Stade Velodrome last week, but will now have to wait until mid-November to make his Ligue 1 debut, as the English FA's lengthy domestic suspension after getting sent off for QPR was upheld by their French counterparts.
The midfielder was dismissed on the final day of the 2011-12 Premier League season for elbowing Manchester City's Carlos Tevez and then kicked Sergio Aguero. He also appeared to try and headbutt City captain Vincent Kompany.
"When Joey Barton was transferred from Queens Park Rangers to Olympique Marseille, the FA relayed the sanction taken against him to the French soccer federation," the LFP said in statement.
"According to FIFA rules... the player, who has already served three games, has been suspended for the next nine matches in the French competitions."
Despite his inability to play domestically for a further two months, Barton is available for selection in European competition, which would allow him to appear for Marseille in their Europa League opener against Fenerbahce on September 20.
The former Manchester City and Newcastle United player will miss eight Ligue 1 matches and one League Cup match and will be eligible to face Bordeaux in Marseille's November 18 league fixture.
Barton's arrival has caused much excitement among his team-mates, who cannot wait to play alongside the controversial midfielder.
"Everyone is waiting to see him play. We know his qualities, his aggressiveness, his ability to get the ball into feet. He is still a good player. I think he can bring us a lot," Marseille winger Andre Ayew said.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod hasn’t made any losses; Afenyo-Markin’s claim is ‘hallucinatory’ — Sammy Gyamfi
12 minutes -
Black Star International Film Festival unveils 2026 key art
19 minutes -
Trump threatens Oman over Iran talks as efforts to reopen Strait of Hormuz continue
23 minutes -
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
25 minutes -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
28 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
34 minutes -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
47 minutes -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
1 hour -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
1 hour -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
1 hour -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
1 hour -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
1 hour -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
2 hours -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
2 hours -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
2 hours