Audio By Carbonatix
Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have both been provisionally banned for 90 days from any football-related activity in a ruling that throws world football into total meltdown.
FIFA secretary-general Jerome Valcke has also been banned for 90 days, and FIFA presidential candidate Chung Mong-joon has been banned for six years and fined 100,000 Swiss francs, FIFA's ethic committee has announced.
Outgoing FIFA president Blatter and UEFA president Platini - who had been favourite to succeed 79-year-old Blatter - will now not be involved in any football activity for the next three months while investigations continue. The 90-day suspension can also be extended by a further 45 days.
A statement from FIFA's ethics committee said: "During this time, the above individuals are banned from all football activities on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately."
The statement from FIFA's ethics committee said: " The adjudicatory chamber of the ethics committee chaired by Hans Joachim Eckert has provisionally banned FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter, UEFA president and FIFA vice-president Michel Platini, and FIFA secretary General Jérôme Valcke (who has already been put on leave by his employer FIFA) for a duration of 90 days. The duration of the bans may be extended for an additional period not exceeding 45 days.
"The former FIFA vice-president Chung Mong-Joon has been banned for six years and fined 100,000 Swiss francs. During this time, the above individuals are banned from all football activities on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately.
"The grounds for these decisions are the investigations that are being carried out by the investigatory chamber of the ethics committee. The chairman of the chamber is Dr Cornel Borbély. The investigation into Joseph S. Blatter is being carried out by Robert Torres, the investigation into Michel Platini by Vanessa Allard.
"The proceedings against the South Korean football official Chung Mong-joon were opened in January 2015 based on findings in the report on the investigation into the bidding process for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cups. He has been found guilty of infringing article 13 (general rules of conduct), article 16 (confidentiality), article 18 (duty of disclosure, cooperation and reporting), article 41 (obligation of the parties to collaborate) and article 42 (general obligation to collaborate) of the FIFA code of ethics."
"The ethics committee is unable to comment on the details of the decisions until they become final, due to the provisions of article 36 (confidentiality) of the FIFA code of ethics."
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
51 minutes -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
1 hour -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
3 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
3 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
3 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
3 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
4 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
4 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
4 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
4 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
5 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
5 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
5 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
5 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
5 hours