A book on the life and works of General Ignatius Kutu Acheampong, Ghana’s fifth Head of State, will be launched in Accra on September 23.
General Olusegun Obasanjo, former President of Nigeria, will launch the 240-page hardcover, which tracks the life, special moments, and the leadership of Gen. Acheampong of the National Redemption Council (NRC) and the Supreme Military Council (SMC) which ruled Ghana from January 1972 to July 1978.
The book, ‘General Acheampong – The Life and Times of Ghana’s Head of State’, was written by Professor Baffour Agyeman-Duah, former UN Senior Governance Adviser and co-founder of the Centre for Democratic Development (CDD-Ghana) and is published by DigiBooks Ghana Limited.
General Ignatius Kutu Acheampong, who was Ghana’s Head of State for six years, would be remembered for a string of innovative national projects including the Dansoman Estates project, the Kpong Hydroelectric project, the Kaneshie Market Complex and ‘Operation Feed Yourself’.
It was General Acheampong’s government that introduced Ghana’s switch from the imperial to the metric system of measure and, on a certain Sunday, August 4, 1974, changed Ghana’s traffic system from left-hand to the right-hand side of the road.
The book makes easy and captivating reading and has been strongly previewed as an excellent resource material for academics and especially for history scholars, seeking to interrogate that period in the country’s life between 1972 and 1978, widely considered as the most unsung part of Ghana’s history.
‘General Acheampong – The Life and Times of Ghana’s Head of State’ will be launched on Thursday, September 23, coincidentally the 90th birthday of the General, at the Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences in Accra, under the chairmanship of Prof. Yaw Adu-Gyamfi, former President of Ghana Medical Association and Fellow of the Ghana Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: 5 die after eating waakye
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- Debt Exchange Programme: Jubilee House, EMT against inclusion of individual bondholders – Bright Simons
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- DDE could be a positive turning point for Ghana – Alhassan Andani
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme
- Ghanaian students on government scholarship stranded in UK over delayed stipend
- There is a need for proper accountability of climate change funds – Dr Segtub
- Livestream: Joy Prime’s BMPS Show: Is flirting disrespectful to your partner?
- What if Muntaka is appointed party’s campaign manager – NDC Executive Member on Minority leadership shake-up
- #SomethingWickedAwards live on Hitz FM
- Climate change funds should be used more for adaptation and mitigation efforts – Penplusbytes
- 1 suspect arrested in Krofrom gang attack
- Only 1 person died from suspected food poisoning at Oyibi – FDA
- UMB launches 2 new life insurance products with SIC Life
- Gang burns down six-bedroom house in reprisal attack at Krofrom
- 7 shot dead at Jerusalem synagogue
- We need to continue pressing for information – Prof Gadzekpo urges public
- Proposals for selecting leaders of NDC Minority Caucus was ignored – Haruna Iddrisu
- Lack of affirmative action cause of lopsided nature of Parliament – Prof. Audrey Sitsofe Gadzekpo
- I can’t wait to get started – Antoine Semenyo after completing Bournemouth move
- Lynx Entertainment signees ‘BDSM’ thrill patrons at Coming Soon EP release party