Audio By Carbonatix
The much anticipated cruiserweight bout between Braimah Kamoko, alias Bukom Banku, and Ayitey Powers has been brought forward a week earlier to April 18 at the same venue, the Accra Sports Stadium.
The fight was originally fixed for April 25, but the promoter said yesterday circumstances had compelled him to bring forward the fight which had taken almost a year to put together.
What is, however, uncertain now is the mouth-watering purse of GH¢60,000 or above that the fight promoter has promised to be shared between the two boxers, as such an amount has been tied to the availability of sponsorship for the big clash.
Fight Promoter and match-maker, Alex Ntiamoah Boakye, told the Graphic Sports yesterday his outfit was in talks with three potential corporate sponsors and was weighing the offers before making any formal announcement.
He indicated also that Box Office Promotions would later reveal other interesting bouts as undercards for the non-title fight after agreement with he boxers and their managers had been reached.
After months of shadow boxing and verbal confrontation in the media, the two boxers took a giant step last Thursday towards the encounter after signing the fight contract with Box Office Promotions at the Accra Sports Stadium in the presence of officials of the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) and the media. The Bukom-based fighters, who arrived separately in the company of their vociferous supporters in a charged atmosphere, talked tough and vowed to end the fight via the short route.
Powers, who arrived first in an all-white outfit and sported blonde hair on a clean-shaven head, promised to teach Kamoko a boxing lesson by knocking him out in the sixth round.
Typically a tough-talking boxer who often lightens up such occasions with comic relief, Kamoko arrived wearing an all-black outfit and was very composed during the ceremony until he was asked to respond to taunts by Powers.
A knockout specialist, who has stopped 20 of his opponents in 26 wins, Kamoko predictably said he would silence his opponent [Powers who comes into the fight with a ring record of 18 wins (14kOs) and 23 losses] with a sixth round knockout.
Later, boxing promoter Abraham Kotey Neequaye, had hoped to sign on Kamoko, who had recently announced a split from his manager/promoter Henry Manly-Spain. But Bukom Banku reportedly delayed signing any deal until his lawyer had satisfied himself with the terms of the draft mangerial and promotional contract.
Latest Stories
-
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
8 minutes -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven’s indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
17 minutes -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
25 minutes -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
28 minutes -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administration
38 minutes -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
47 minutes -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
1 hour -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
1 hour -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
2 hours -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
2 hours -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
2 hours -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
3 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
3 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
3 hours