Audio By Carbonatix
There were impressions that Downs & Chiefs will compete in the Champions League with Bucs and Wits taking part in the Confederation Cup but that will only be confirmed in September
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has cleared the air regarding slots that will be allocated to South African clubs in the next edition of both the Champions League and the Confederation Cup.
The majority of SA football fans were made to believe that the two top PSL clubs will compete in the CAF Champions League in 2015, with a team that finishes third on the log taking part in the Confederation Cup together with Nedbank Cup winners.
However, the African football governing body revealed that the decision to award slots will only be taken in September, while at the same admitting that SA could still have four spots in the next edition due to Orlando Pirates' CAF run in the 2013 edition.
"Regarding the slots awarded to South Africa, I think we should wait for the next rankings of member-association of Caf to be issued around September to know how many slots will be awarded to SA for the year 2015.
"The rankings are made according to the performances of the clubs in Caf intercontinental competitions for the past five editions and that will be from 2009 to 2013," said Caf media division director Junior Binyam on Metro FM on Tuesday.
"Hopefully, depending on the performances of the other countries, South African can be awarded four slots for 2015, as Orlando Pirates reached the final last year. So, there can be four slots next year and back to two slots in 2016 because the performance of South African teams in 2014 wasn't that good," he said.
"For now SA has two slots - one in the Champions League and one in the Confederation Cup - and the slots for the 2015 edition will be determined according to the rankings to be issued in September or latest in October," he reiterated.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
38 minutes -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
48 minutes -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
1 hour -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
1 hour -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
1 hour -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
2 hours -
‘My heart is shattered beyond words’ – Choirmaster mourns wife Beverly Afaglo
2 hours -
East Africa wants to curb imports of used clothes, but it’s not easy
2 hours -
California declares emergency as fire crews race to contain toxic leak
2 hours -
Social Democrats’ Ennis elected in Dublin Central by-election
2 hours -
At least 82 killed in Chinese coal mine explosion
2 hours -
Choirmaster announces death of wife Beverly AfagloÂ
2 hours -
Bank boss sorry after describing workers as ‘lower value human capital’
2 hours -
India’s parody ‘cockroach party’ claims website has been blocked
2 hours -
I survived a missile strike in the Strait of Hormuz, but my friend has not been found
3 hours