The somber memorial for George Floyd in Minneapolis, on Thursday, drew a bevy of high-profile politicians and celebrities, including Kevin Hart, Tiffany Haddish and Ludacris.
The Rev. Al Sharpton, who delivered a fierce eulogy for Floyd, gave a shout out to some of the stars in the crowd.
He invited Haddish up onstage while everyone stood for eight minutes and 46 seconds — the amount of time Floyd was held down on the ground by a white police officer before he died.
Gwen Carr, the mother of Eric Garner, who died in police custody in New York City in 2014, was also invited on stage by Sharpton, as the crowd of 500 rose to honor Floyd’s memory.
At one point in his eulogy, Sharpton mentioned that Hart hadn’t wanted to draw attention to his attendance.
The stand-up comedian was spotted seated next to musician Ludacris at the service, held at a sanctuary at North Central University.
Other celebs at the memorial included T.I., Tyrese Gibson, Master P and film producer Will Packer. Rev. Jesse Jackson was also in attendance.
A slew of politicans were also on hand, including Sens. Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith of Minnesota, members of Congress, including Reps. Ilhan Omar, Sheila Jackson-Lee and Ayanna Pressley, Gov. Tim Walz and mayors Jacob Frey of Minneapolis and Melvin Carter of St. Paul.
- London Court throws out AG, others for sleeping on $170m case
- Mustapha Hamid appointed NPA boss
- Kennedy Agyapong cuts sod to construct 80-bed cardio centre at 37 Military Hospital
- 55% children considering a move abroad scary – CRI
- Private road transport operators to increase fares
- CID to investigate Power Purchasing Agreement that resulted in $170m judgment debt – AG
- Former Minister of Energy has caused $170m loss to the state – John Jinapor
- Alleged Coup Plot: High Court briefed about high-powered government delegation to first receive intel
- Gaddafi’s ‘Flying Palace’ returns home after nearly a decade
- Man drops dead after consuming full bottle of gin during competition
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 30
Xavier-Sosu introduces bill to secure compensation for victims of unlawful arrest, detention or conviction
Message from the Morning Man: The Travelling Companion
Committee tasked to settle land dispute between La Traditional Council, Military completes work
Africa Education Watch justifies 2020 WASSCE report that revealed massive leakages, malpractices
Covid-19 Delta variant: Intensify testing system at airports – Dr Amuasi advises
Contribute your quota to national development – Youth-NREG boss urges youth at 2nd Anniversary
World Bank, IMF finalising work on Ghana’s Debt Sustainability Analysis
Police have no armed robbery evidence against siblings brandishing guns in viral social media video
Strengthen guidance and counselling unit in schools to help curb suicide thoughts – Lawyer Ankomah
6 arrested during anti-human trafficking operations
Help save forestry industry – Forestry Association
Man who shot friend over ¢5 debt charged with murder
Nutrition can’t wait because of Covid-19 pandemic – Nutrition International Country Director
AstraZeneca, Sputnik V vaccines potent against Covid-19 Delta variant – GHS reacts