Audio By Carbonatix
Berekum Chelsea have confirmed participation in the next Confederation of African Football (CAF) Champions League following Ghana’s additional slot for the competition.
Nana Oduro Sarfo, General Manager of Berekum Chelsea, told GNA Sports, the club found the news to participate in the tournament they started as debutants last year, welcoming and desperate to grab with both hands.
“We have agreed to grab the opportunity and hoping to represent Ghana with the aim of achieving better results at a second attempt.”
Chelsea’s impressive debut outing last year was the catalyst for the re-entry into the top ranked teams.
The Berekum side narrowly missed out on a place at the semis at the first attempt at the highest level of African club football despite being in a tough group alongside former winners’ Al-Ahly and Zamalek (both of Egypt) and TP Mazembe (DR Congo).
Sarfo said “playing in Africa means a lot to the club and the players alike. Apart from the opportunity of winning laurels, the players understand that it was through such moments that the likes of Emmanuel Clottey and Solomon Asante secured contracts outside Ghana”.
He said the club had set their sight on going a step further in the competition at a second attempt. Berekum Chelsea came second in the just-ended Premiership behind Kotoko.
Last Monday, Ghana regained her four slots for the continental club championships effective next year.
The decision came after the Ghana Football Association (GFA) recaptured its place amongst the 12-best nations according to the rankings of the continental soccer governing body, CAF.
This will be the first time since 2006 that Ghana will be parading two teams in both competitions
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
7 minutes -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
8 minutes -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
26 minutes -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
30 minutes -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
39 minutes -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
39 minutes -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
54 minutes -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
1 hour -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
2 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
3 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
3 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
4 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
4 hours -
Ghana’s missing billions: What 16 years of Auditor-General reports show
4 hours