Audio By Carbonatix
Chief Justice nominee Justice Paul Baffoe-Bonnie has defended the lengthy 70-year prison sentence he handed down to notorious criminal, Ayi Ayeetey (alias Atta Ayi).
Parliament’s Appointments Committee on Monday, November 10, Justice Baffoe-Bonnie recalled a case from his “youthful days” in which he sentenced the notorious armed robber to 70 years in prison.
“The judges and magistrates, they are trained, they have sentencing guidelines,” he said. “But sometimes they have to go beyond it. In my youthful days, I gave somebody 70 years, Atta Ayi."
- READ ALSO: Lawyers desert Ataa Ayi
Justice Baffoe-Bonnie emphasised that while sentencing guidelines provide a framework, judges must sometimes exercise discretion to address the broader context of a case, including public safety and the protection of vulnerable parties.
"I gave him 70 years. And what I told myself was that if Atta Ayi was given 30 years and he comes back, my family will be the first he will attack. So by the time he comes back after 70 years, I will be dead and gone,” he said lightheartedly to laughter in the audience.
Background
Ataa Ayi, who was described by the police as the nation's most notorious bandit,t had a high price tag placed on his head by the police. His whereabouts before he was captured prompted the largest manhunt in the nation's crime history, with expensive billboards bearing his portrait mounted in five of the ten regions of the country. Ataa Ayi was arrested in his hideout in the Teshie Tsui Bleo, a suburb of Accra.
His girlfriend, suspected to be an accomplice, was also arrested in the raid.
Before his arrest, the police had been on his heels for months. His deputy, Emmanuel Tetteh, also known as Mpata, was also arrested. It was believed that information provided by Mpata might have helped to track down the elusive Ataa Ayi.
According to police, Ataa Ayi was the brain behind most of the brutal armed robberies in Accra. He and members of his gang were alleged to have, at gunpoint, stolen money, cars, jewellery and other valuables from various people in the national capital. He was also alleged to have shot several people who resisted his attacks. He was convicted of multiple counts of armed robbery offences and jailed in 2005.
Latest Stories
-
Government will not tolerate shoddy road projects – Roads Minister
15 minutes -
25/26 GPL: Vision end campaign with win over Aduana
21 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Young Apostles survive relegation with win over SamartexÂ
33 minutes -
Gunmen allegedly kidnap teenager at Kabulya near Bimbilla, demand ransom
45 minutes -
Fernandes breaks assist record as Brighton land Euro spot despite loss
47 minutes -
Sunderland reach Europa League at Chelsea’s expense
51 minutes -
Spurs beat Everton to secure Premier League survival
54 minutes -
Xenophobia: Ghana to receive first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27
1 hour -
GPL 2025/26: Swedru All Blacks stun Kotoko in dramatic final-day comeback
1 hour -
Slump continues as cedi becomes worst-performing currency in sub-Saharan Africa in 2026
2 hours -
Petroleum Commission hails 7 Eleven Energy Services’ indigenous bolt and nut plant as sign of local content growth
2 hours -
Keta MP offers relief to Afiadenyigba SHS after fire outbreak
2 hours -
UMaT graduates 95 students, commits to training 1,000 coders
2 hours -
Modified Taxation Scheme: Ghana’s surest way to inclusive tax administrationÂ
3 hours -
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
3 hours