Audio By Carbonatix
A further four cases of a bird flu virus not previously seen in humans have been reported by authorities in China.
Three women aged 32, 45 and 48, and an 83-year-old man were diagnosed between 19 and 21 March and are critically ill.
There have now been seven confirmed cases of the H7N9 virus, the World Health Organization said. Two people have died.
But the WHO says there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission.
However more than 160 people who have had contact with the individuals are being closely monitored.
So far, none has developed symptoms.
The latest cases were seen in the Jiangsu province while the earlier cases were in the Shanghai and Anhui provinces.
Two contacts of one of the Shanghai cases who developed symptoms are being retrospectively investigated.
One died and the other recovered, but as yet there has been no laboratory confirmation of whether they were infected with H7N9.
Hygiene measures
The Chinese government has increased disease surveillance, infection prevention and control and communication between human and animal health and industry sectors.
It has advised the population to maintain good personal hygiene, including frequent hand-washing and avoiding direct contact with sick or dead animals.
The WHO is not recommending any travel or trade restrictions.
Dr John McCauley, Director of WHO Collaborating Centre on Influenza at the MRC National Institute for Medical Research, said: "The virus belongs to the A(H7N9) sub-type, a sub-type that has not previously infected humans, and has emerged from the reservoir of avian influenza viruses.
"It is not known how the virus was transmitted.
"By identifying the source of infection, measures can be taken to reduce human exposure.
"The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating whether there has been any human-to-human transmission."
Tests suggest the virus could be treated with the anti-influenza drugs Tamiflu and Relenza.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Blame OSP for delaying SML case – Corporate Counsel
2 minutes -
GFD condemns BOGISS over disciplinary action against 14-year-old allegedly abused by watchmen
23 minutes -
Exhibitors showcase housing solutions at JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair at Achimota Mall
24 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia reiterates call for inclusion and unity at meeting with new Savannah and Western regional NPP executives
29 minutes -
I’ll consider review — Oppong Nkrumah hints at next move after Supreme Court dismisses injunction
53 minutes -
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
1 hour -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
1 hour -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
1 hour -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
1 hour -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
2 hours -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
2 hours -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
2 hours -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
2 hours -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
2 hours