A defence lawyer in the trial of persons accused of plotting to overthrow the government has accused state prosecutors of abusing their prosecutorial powers.
Victor Adawudu told an Accra High Court that his clients have been kept in custody for three months without the trial commencing. He urged the court presided over by Georgina Mensah-Datsa to grant them bail.
This is the second time Mr Adawudu is making such an application.
The High Court presided over Justice George Buadi In November ruled that the accused persons were lawfully arrested and have not been kept in custody unreasonably.
Mr Adawudu in his fresh application says three months in custody without trial is unreasonable. Senior State Attorney, Hilda Craig, opposed the bail application.
She said the case against the accused persons was such that once the trial starts, “the foundations of the nation will shake”.
She urged the court to consider the seriousness of the charges and understand why the Prosecutors have taken long to finish investigations.
She said the accused persons are likely to interfere with investigations if they are granted bail. Justice Mensah-Datsa adjourned proceedings to Friday, December 20 to deliver the ruling.
There are currently ten persons standing trial before the Kaneshie District Court on charges including treason felony. State Prosecutors say they participated in an elaborate plot aimed at destabilising the government.
The nine persons standing trial are Dr Frederick Yao Mac-Palm, Dornyah “Ezor” Kafui (a local weapon manufacturer), Bright Allan Debrah Ofosu (aka BB or ADC) (freight manager).
Other are Colonel Samuel Kojo Gameli and Gershun Akpa, a civilian employee of the Armed Forces, WO2 Esther Saan, Lance Corporal Ali Solomon, Corporal Seidu Abubakar, Sylvester Akanbiri and Senior Police Officer ACP Agordzo.
The government in a statement released in September said a joint security operation on Friday led to the retrieval of several arms, explosive devices and ammunition from locations in Accra and Kpone-Bawaleshie in Dodowa.
- Alleged coup plotter Dr Mac-Palm reportedly dead
- Kamala visit: Police divert traffic in Accra and Cape Coast from Mar 26 to 29
- Full text: Kamala Harris’ speech upon arrival in Accra
- 9 die in two separate accidents in the Eastern region
- I’m very excited about the future of Africa – Kamala Harris
- Photos of Kamala Harris visit to Ghana
- US Vice President Kamala Harris’ full speech upon arrival in Ghana
- Kweku Antwi-Boasiako: NDC: A word to the wise is enough!
- I intend to do work that will increase investment in Africa – Kamala Harris
- Playback: Special coverage of Kamala Harris’ historic visit to Ghana
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- Today’s front pages: Monday, March 27, 2023
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- Ghana records $752.8m trade surplus in first 2 months of 2023
- Black Stars: Nicholas Opoku handed late call up for Angola game
- Sniffing body odour is tested as an anxiety therapy
- Israel defence minister fired in legal reform row
- Strike brings Germany’s public transport network to halt
- Tunisia migrants: At least 29 die off coast
- GAA, GES & NSA set to host National Athletics Championship in Kumasi
- betPawa PL: Hearts of Oak lose on the road; Medeama beat Kotoko
- Antonio Conte leaves Tottenham Hotspur by mutual consent
- Playback: The Probe discusses the relevance of a hung Parliament
- Upper West Akim MP organises ‘Adom Easter Gala’ competition for constituents
- Prophet urges members not to bring offertory to church