Audio By Carbonatix
The Sunyani Magistrate court 'B', on Wednesday granted GHC 10,000 self recognizance bail each with surety to Nana Baffour Asare II, Omanhene of Tuobodom and Samuel Adjei Boahen his secretary.
Nana Asare and Boahen are standing trial at the court presided over by Mr Joseph Mensah for abetment of crime and attempted murder.
They would reappear on March 16.
The two were in court for allegedly aiding and abetting Kwaku Addae, Appiah Kusi Kwabena Marcus, Seth Boadu, Kwaku Abraham and others now at large to commit murder.
The presiding judge ordered that all prosecution witnesses must be arraigned for the trial to commence in the next adjournment.
Police Sergeant Faustina Anaman, prosecution told the court that the complainants are the chiefs and errand boys serving under the traditional command of the Omanhene of Techiman Oseadeyo Akumfi Ameyaw IV.
She said at about 1300 hours of October 8, 2008, the Omanhene of Techiman was on his way to Tuobodom to attend the annual yam festival.
On reaching the outskirt of Tuobodom near the Seventh Day Adventist School, a mob mounted a road block and fired gun shots indiscriminately from a nearby bush under the command of the two accused persons.
Sgt. Anaman said two young men, Kwame Ameyaw and Stephen Afrifa, who were in the convoy of Oseadeyo Akumfi Ameyaw, sustained gun shots wounds and were rushed to the Techiman Holy Family Hospital where they were treated and discharged.
She said on February 16 this year, the five suspects were arrested and had been remanded in prison custody to reappear on March 17.
Nana Obiri Boahen, counsel for the accused persons described the attack on Oseadeyo Akumfi Ameyaw's convoy as barbaric and primitive, and should not be tolerated.
He pleaded to the court to grant self recognizance bail to his clients since they were being tried for abetment of crime.
Nana Boahen intimated that his clients were not arrested but kidnapped by some able-bodied men from Techiman.
He explained that he was travelling to the Wenchi High Court with his clients when six men arrived with a car, abducted the chief and his secretary and sent them to the Techiman palace.
Nana Boahen alleged that the kidnappers tied the Omanhene, stripped him naked and subjected him to severe beatings, whilst his secretary was also tortured.
He said the Techiman police rescued the Omanhene and his secretary from their attackers.
"It is so painful, pathetic and worrisome for a paramount chief to be striped naked in public," Nana Boahen told the court.
On Friday March 6, three people were shot dead whilst four others including a police man sustained gun shots wounds when violence broke out between supporters of the two traditional factions at Tuobodom in the Techiman Municipality of the Brong Ahafo Region.
The sporadic shooting incidents started when some young men abducted Nana Asare and his secretary and subjected them to severe beatings.
Relative calm has since returned to the town after the Regional Security Council deployed a contingent of 92 military and police personnel to restore peace in the area.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ebola outbreak poses massive challenges, warns nurse
40 minutes -
Bolivian minister’s convoy ambushed while overseeing roadblock clearance
1 hour -
One killed and many feared trapped under collapsed building in Philippines
1 hour -
Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran
2 hours -
Conte to leave Napoli a year after winning Serie A
2 hours -
Iraola signs off after writing new Bournemouth chapter
2 hours -
Fifi Folson marks 20 years on air with Thanksgiving Service, launches teen gospel initiative
2 hours -
The moment that broke Guardiola on day a decade of glory ended
2 hours -
Raducanu beaten in French Open first round
2 hours -
Sabalenka cuts media short as French Open players protest
2 hours -
Ghana’s Jada Yankey clocks new personal best at AP Race London International
3 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Berekum Chelsea end season on high with win over Bechem
3 hours -
Alleged shooting of chief’s brother by galamseyers triggers tension at Gwira Ampansie
3 hours -
Livestream: The Probe examines New Decentralisation Policy
4 hours -
Enterprise Insurance pays over GH¢280m in claims in 2025
4 hours