The Court of Appeal has, today, 1 December 2022, held that the High Court was wrong in deciding that Bank of Ghana’s decision to appoint Nii Amanor Dodoo as Receiver of UniBank was wrong.
It may be recalled that, in the civil case to recover over GHS 5.7 Billion from Dr, Kwabena Duffuor and the other defendants, the High Court granted an application by Dr. Kwabena Duffour and the other defendants, and struck out the Receiver’s case against them, based on the argument that Nii Amanor Dodoo should not have accepted Bank of Ghana’s appointment as Receiver of uniBank, because two years had not passed since he worked on the team of the Official Administrator of UniBank. The Receiver appealed against the decision on 28 June, 2021.
In a unanimous judgment (read by His Lordship Richard A. Frimpong, JA) the Court of Appeal held that the High Court was wrong in its interpretation of the relevant provisions of Act 930, and that Nii Amanor Dodoo was properly appointed as Receiver. The Court of Appeal also referred to, and endorsed its own earlier decision in another (but related) matter, in which it ruled that Nii Amanor Dodoo was validly appointment.
Today’s decision means that the Receiver can now continue with his work and efforts to take back the amounts he claims were taken out of UniBank by Dr. Duffour and the other defendants.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- DDEP: We’ll continue to converge there until we’re exempted – Dr. Anane Antwi
- 40 Ejuraman students injured in dining structure collapse
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- Full text: Finance Minister’s speech on DDEP deadline eve
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- College head found dead with husband and daughter
- 28 of 47 students of Ejuraman Anglican SHS discharged from Hospital
- I’m your biggest fan – DJ Khaled tells Tems
- Akufo-Addo nominates Abetifi MP for Agric Ministry
- Bole: Family of murdered herdsman demand justice, appeals to CJ
- Death in a military operation is not unexpected – Security Analyst on Bawku killings
- Tems speaks on Grammy win, working with Future, Drake, others
- Bank manager arrested for ‘hoarding’ new Nigerian notes
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Kenyan school shaves off female students’ long hair
- Assayer in court over $18m gold scam
- #6thSenseonJoyPrime: Economic situation cause of Ghana’s moral bankruptcy – Angela Bamford
- Cocoa Abrabopa Association, Alfred Ritter and Ascot to tackle poverty in cocoa growing communities in Ghana
- Eagles and GATE Africa collaborate to make history with super bowl viewing experience in Africa
- Pardon Suame NDC Youth Organiser for misspeaking – Sammy Gyamfi tells Police
- There should be a policy to deploy teachers to rural areas – Deputy General Secretary, GNAT