A Jasikan Circuit Court has sentenced a 40-year-old man, Sampson Kwame Asong to five years imprisonment for threatening to kill a drinking spot owner with a locally manufactured pistol.
Kwame Asong pleaded guilty to the charge and was convicted on his own plea.
Prosecuting, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Vincent Seth Kpodo, told the Court presided over by Mr Alfred Kwabena Asiedu that on November 28, last year, at about 1900 hours, the convict entered the complainant’s drinking spot at Nkonya Tayi with the pistol.
He said the pistol, however, failed to discharge bullets after Kwame Asong attempted to pull the trigger two times with the gun pointed at the complainant.
ASP Kpodo said onlookers could not retrieve the pistol from the convict due to fear of being shot.
He said Kwame Asong was arrested after the complainant reported the incident to the police at Nkonya.
ASP Kpodo said a search conducted on the convict revealed a locally manufactured pistol fully loaded with cartridges under his bed.
During prosecution, the convict told the Court that about six months ago, he won an online betting game worth 150 million US Dollars, which was paid into the complainant’s mobile money account.
He said anytime he demanded the money, the complainant refused to give the money to him.
Kwame Asong also alleged that the complainant pledged to give his daughter’s hand in marriage to him but to his surprise, another man got married to the said daughter.
- Armed police officers and soldiers clash in Accra central as traders run for their lives
- Mohammed Kudus not eligible to play at 2023 U-23 AFCON
- Fuel prices to fall between 2% and 9% from April 1
- MP dies after hit-and-run motorcycle crash
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- Social media reacts to Bagbin’s rant on Kamala Harris and Akufo-Addo’s LGBTQ+ comments
- Students have still not reported to school despite free SHS – Ashanti Region GES
- Ernest Kobeah pulls out of NDC flagbearership race
- U-23 AFCON 2023Q: Ghana seals qualification with victory over Algeria
- Radio presenter recounts stealing church money to buy heroin, cocaine
- Basketmouth opens up on struggles early on in comedy career
- ECG to disconnect Ho Teaching Hospital, Ho Municipal Hospital over arrears
- Video: How man used bare hands to rescue trapped gold miners in DR Congo
- McDan’s Salt Company disconnected from national grid over GH¢300k debt
- How climate change impact on fisheries is pushing artisanal fishers into IUU fishing in Ghana
- Ashanti Region records 181 maternal mortality in 2022
- Ghana Airlines will be operational by June this year – Transport Minister
- Africa should focus on digital economy and innovation – Kamala Harris
- Parliament decriminalises attempted suicide
- Kamala Harris hails immense impact of medical drone delivery in Ghana
- Black Stars team manager clarifies André Ayew teamsheet error against Angola
- Kamala Harris in Ghana: The US Vice President and the arts
- There’s still political interference in Ghana’s chieftaincy institution – Akyem Bosome Omanhene
- Old boy, DRW donate laptops to Mfantsipim
- Kamala Harris announces over $1bn investment into economic empowerment of women in Africa