The prices of hydroxychloroquine skyrockets in sub-Sahara African countries amid Covid-19.
Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, there have been claims that hydroxychloroquine can help in preventing and treating the deadly virus, and since it’s been a valuable object that is trafficked.
Chloroquine is well known in Africa and was one of the most widely prescribed anti-malaria drugs until the 1980s.
But it is no longer authorised on the continent by the WHO.
However, attempts are made to produce the drug locally, highlighting the flaws of the drug market in West Africa.
In Nigeria, chloroquine in a 250 mg dosage can be sold, and prices have soared in the last four months.
A packet of 60 tablets has gone from $8 to $194 in pharmacies.
Despite the legal battle on illicit drugs in the sub-region, the traffic is on the increase.
In Cameroon, a network of counterfeit chloroquine manufacturers were arrested in Bafoussam in March 2020.
Several were recently seized in Niger, Mali and Côte d’Ivoire.
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- Court of Appeal Judge to be investigated for ‘suspicious ruling’
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- Gold for Oil policy cornering BDCs – Dr. Ofori
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Ras Nene confronts Achimota Mall security for stopping his team from filming
- Playback: Burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician Modestus Zame
- 2022/23 GPL final day: Medeama and Bechem title tug of war, Hearts of Oak’s relegation threat
- Burkina Faso offers bounty for 20 ‘wanted terrorists’
- Boy, 14, hired to animate Spider-Man film
- OSP’s invite should extend to current IMCIM members – Dr Ken Ashigbey
- I wish Ghana could be like Germany – Prof Frimpong-Boateng on Green Ghana project
- Ghana returns to gold top spot as output jumps 32%
- Adane Best, Epoxide, others for Ghana Day Festival in Switzerland
- Namibia bans export of unprocessed critical minerals
- Green Ghana Day: Continue nurturing trees for them to reach maturity – Lands Minister urges
- ‘Spiritualist’ on trial for allegedly defrauding client of GHȼ85,000
- Man arrested after attacking pastor in church over ‘fake prophecy’
- BET Awards 2023 nominations announced; Drake takes the lead with 7 nods
- Ghana may find it difficult to get debt relief of $10.5bn – Theo Acheampong
- The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician, Modestus Zame laid to rest
- External debt suspension helped current account balance into surplus
- Camidoh releases ‘LITA’ mixtape