Audio By Carbonatix
Cristiano Ronaldo has rejected accusations he said he is "sad" at Real Madrid to get more money from the club.
Ronaldo, 27, refused to celebrate either of his goals in Sunday's 3-0 win against Granada and revealed his disquiet to reporters after the match.
Several theories have been put forward to explain his mood, but Ronaldo denied his motives are financial.
"I am accused of wanting more money, but one day it will be shown that this is not the case," the forward said.
Apart from the argument that the Portugal international is angling for a new contract, it has also been suggested that he was upset by a perceived lack of support from his club in his bid to be named World Player of the Year for a second time and because Barcelona midfelder Andres Iniesta was selected as Uefa's Best Player in Europe last week.
Ronaldo has made a huge impact since joining Madrid from Manchester United for a world record £80m fee in 2009, and his 46 La Liga goals last season played a key role in helping Real becoming Spanish champions.
He moved to ease fears from supporters that his performance level would decline by guaranteeing "that my motivation, dedication, commitment and desire to win all competitions will not be affected" by his feelings as he has "too much respect for myself and for Real Madrid to ever give less to the club than all I am capable of."
Real team-mate and former Liverpool defender Alvaro Arbeloa offered his support to Ronaldo.
He said: "If Cristiano is sad and needs the support of his team-mates then of course he is going to get it. And if it is the support of the fans, I am sure they will give it.
"In Real Madrid we are a family. When one member is not as happy as he should be we help him.
"When things are not right we all help."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod hasn’t made any losses; Afenyo-Markin’s claim is ‘hallucinatory’ — Sammy Gyamfi
7 minutes -
Black Star International Film Festival unveils 2026 key art
14 minutes -
Trump threatens Oman over Iran talks as efforts to reopen Strait of Hormuz continue
18 minutes -
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
20 minutes -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
23 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
29 minutes -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
42 minutes -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
55 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
59 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
1 hour -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
1 hour -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
1 hour -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
1 hour -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
1 hour -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
2 hours