Defending champion Bianca Andreescu has withdrawn from this year’s US Open because the coronavirus pandemic has hampered her return from injury.
The Canadian, 20, has not played since sustaining a knee injury at the WTA Finals in October.
The US Open will be held behind closed doors in New York from 31 August.
“I have made the difficult decision not to return to New York this year,” said Andreescu, who beat Serena Williams in last year’s final.
“I have taken this step in order to focus on my match fitness and ensure that I return ready to play at my highest level.”
Andreescu added that “unforeseen challenges” including the cancellation of events because of the coronavirus pandemic have “compromised my ability to prepare and compete to the degree necessary to play at my highest level”.
World number six Andreescu is the fourth women’s top 20 player to pull out of the US Open after world number one Ashleigh Barty, Elina Svitolina and Kiki Bertens, who are ranked fifth and seventh respectively.
World number two Simona Halep, from Romania, is not expected to play either.
However, 23-time Grand Slam champion Williams says she still plans to compete at the tournament.
Men’s world number one Novak Djokovic has confirmed he will play but defending champion Rafael Nadal pulled out citing concerns over coronavirus earlier this month, while Roger Federer is absent recovering from injury.
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
Classroom block for Islamic School commissioned in Akatsi North
DR Congo: 30 sentenced to death over anti-police clashes
PPP backs calls for independent probe into alleged assault of Caleb Kudah
Bawumia endorses Ghana’s candidate for Commonwealth Youth Council
Livestream: 5th edition Ghana CEO Summit
Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
GIPC hints of 5 years tax holidays for aquaculture investors
PharmAccess’ Dr Maxwell Antwi appointed to UHC2030 Advisory Group
Assault on journalists: Media Groups call for restructuring of National Security agency among others
Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Galamsey: Desilting and dredging of the Offin river underway
Enhance babies’ food with micronutrient powder – Nutrition Officer
23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
Prince Charles wants royal palaces to go from ‘private spaces to public places’ when he is king – report