Audio By Carbonatix
While his fall 2012 collection receives praise, Marc Jacobs has come under fire after opting to use two 14-year-old models in his show Monday.
Jacobs sent 14-year-old Ford models Thairine Garcia and Ondria Hardin, pictured above, down the runway, despite the 16-year-old age limit suggested by the Council of Fashion Designers for America (CFDA).
Jacobs, who sits on the board of the CFDA, told The New York Times: “I do the show the way I think it should be, and not the way somebody tells me it should be.”
After comparing them to child actors, he said: “If their parents are willing to let them do a show, I don’t see any reason that it should be me who tells them that they can’t.”
The girls have appeared in Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire and Elle magazines.
This comes a few days after Ford denied pledging to use models who were over 16-years-old, despite a news release from the CFDA last month that claimed otherwise.
In a statement released Wednesday, Ford said, “While we agree with many of the guidelines the CFDA is working towards, we did not sign on with this particular initiative.”
The statement continued, “We are sorry for the confusion and apologize for not clearing it up right away when it was announced. We take the age and maturity of our models very seriously. We work on a case-by-case basis alongside a prospective model’s parents to make a determination as to whether they are ready to walk the runway. In most cases, the answer is no. But a select few demonstrate the know-how and maturity that are necessary to work earlier than they otherwise would.”
Some argue that the large, fluffy hats and over-sized clothes Jacobs sent down the runway didn’t warrant breaking CFDA guidelines, when the model’s faces were barely recognizable amid the fabric.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
2 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
2 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
2 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
2 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
2 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
2 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
2 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
3 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
3 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
3 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
3 hours