Audio By Carbonatix
The leadership of the Ghana Medical Association (GMA) on Thursday reminded government of its relapse in fulfilling its part of negotiations for the review of the salaries for doctors.
According to them, government had failed to respond to their proposals and the process of negotiation as stipulated by the National Labour Commission (NLC) by the end of October 2008 despite repeated attempts of by GMA leadership to reach an amicable settlement.
Briefing the media in Accra, Dr Emmanuel Adom Winful, president of GMA, said the leadership of GMA was losing confidence in the ability of government to “use a process of negotiation, dialogue and non-confrontation to resolve labour issues, at least as far as it concerns the GMA”.
He noted that GMA’s demand for salary review as ruled by the NLC was fair and just.
Government in April this year signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with GMA to review salaries of doctors.
According to the doctors, their salaries had not been reviewed for the past three years, whereas the salaries of public sector workers were reviewed regularly since 2006.
Dr Winful said, although both formal and informal approaches had been adopted without any positive results, “we are gravely concerned by the slow pace of the entire process especially in the light of the NLC’s ruling that calls for a clear resolution of the outstanding issues by the end of this October”.
He dismissed the claim by government that Ghanaian doctors salary was the second highest only to their South African counterparts and said Ghanaian doctors were currently worse off than they were three years ago when the original negotiation was concluded.
The leadership of GMA urged government to honour its part of the negotiations as agreed in April this year.
Source: GMA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Harry and Meghan’s UK security arrangements remain a ‘private matter’ – Andy Burnham
1 minute -
At least 15 killed in Kyiv as Ukraine grapples with air defence shortages
5 minutes -
Existing banking model could draw a dagger through Ghana’s 24-Hour Economy
11 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for Techiman SHS as Wesley High edge them by one point in prelims
15 minutes -
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
28 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
33 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
39 minutes -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
40 minutes -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
41 minutes -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
51 minutes -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
1 hour -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
1 hour -
Mining industry must rethink social licence with youth at the centre – GoldBod CEO
1 hour -
BoG encourages banks to list on GSE to unlock long-term capital
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Nandom SHS complete stunning comeback, edge Ghana SHS by a point to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour